nneka_ridgway

Can I file jointly if my spouse already filed separately?

Intuit Approved!

If you are going to amend your return so that the two of you file a joint return, you have to amend your spouse's return to become a joint return.

If you need to enter additional information, delete something, or change something on the the tax return you already filed, you have to wait until your return has been fully processed, then you can prepare an amended return, called a 1040X.  You cannot e-file a 1040X.  It must be printed, signed and mailed to the IRS.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-a-2016-return-in-turbotax

After you print, sign and mail your amended return—1040X— to the IRS wait about 3 weeks and then you can begin checking on it at the IRS website.  Be aware that it can take at least 3-4 months for an amended return to be fully processed (or sometimes even longer.)

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

Intuit Approved!

If your spouse agrees, you can amend his/her return to Joint.

MartyDC

In this situation do you create two amended returns and mail them in together?

Hal_Al

You file only one amended return.

'If only one of you had previously file, then you use his/her original return as the starting point.  If you both previously filed separately, you have to combine the numbers.  If ythis is your situation, you should consider hiring a tax pro to do it for you. 

MartyDC

Thanks Hal.  I think I'm enough of a "Tax Pro" to do it myself.  My question is how to handle this in turbo tax.  Assuming I have 2 completed returns entered in TT, can TT combine them in one amended return?

MartyDC

I know all this.  My question is specifically how to do this using TT.  Can TT combine two separate returns into one amended joint return?

Hal_Al

TT can NOT combine two separate returns into one amended joint return.

You can start with either return (choose the one who's name you want listed first) (or the most complicated one). The other spouse's info will have to be entered manually.