turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file jointly if my spouse already filed separately?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
xmasbaby0
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

If you are going to amend your return so that the two of you file a joint return, you have to amend your spouse's return to become a joint return.

If you need to enter additional information, delete something, or change something on the the tax return you already filed, you have to wait until your return has been fully processed, then you can prepare an amended return, called a 1040X.  You cannot e-file a 1040X.  It must be printed, signed and mailed to the IRS.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-a-2016-return-in-turbotax

After you print, sign and mail your amended return—1040X— to the IRS wait about 3 weeks and then you can begin checking on it at the IRS website.  Be aware that it can take at least 3-4 months for an amended return to be fully processed (or sometimes even longer.)

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

12 Replies
xmasbaby0
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

If you are going to amend your return so that the two of you file a joint return, you have to amend your spouse's return to become a joint return.

If you need to enter additional information, delete something, or change something on the the tax return you already filed, you have to wait until your return has been fully processed, then you can prepare an amended return, called a 1040X.  You cannot e-file a 1040X.  It must be printed, signed and mailed to the IRS.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-a-2016-return-in-turbotax

After you print, sign and mail your amended return—1040X— to the IRS wait about 3 weeks and then you can begin checking on it at the IRS website.  Be aware that it can take at least 3-4 months for an amended return to be fully processed (or sometimes even longer.)

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If your spouse agrees, you can amend his/her return to Joint.

In this situation do you create two amended returns and mail them in together?

Hal_Al
Level 15

You file only one amended return.

'If only one of you had previously file, then you use his/her original return as the starting point.  If you both previously filed separately, you have to combine the numbers.  If ythis is your situation, you should consider hiring a tax pro to do it for you. 

Thanks Hal.  I think I'm enough of a "Tax Pro" to do it myself.  My question is how to handle this in turbo tax.  Assuming I have 2 completed returns entered in TT, can TT combine them in one amended return?

I know all this.  My question is specifically how to do this using TT.  Can TT combine two separate returns into one amended joint return?

Hal_Al
Level 15

TT can NOT combine two separate returns into one amended joint return.

You can start with either return (choose the one who's name you want listed first) (or the most complicated one). The other spouse's info will have to be entered manually. 

andavis83

Can I file jointly now and then amend my husbands or do i have to wait till his is amended?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Can I file jointly now and then amend my husbands or do I have to wait till his is amended?

A.  He files an amended return that changes his return to joint and  includes you.  

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

@andavis83

Adding to the answer from Hal_Al

If your husband already filed a Married Filing Separately (MFS) return, you will not be able to E-FILE a Married Filing Joint (MFJ) return since his social security number will show as already used. 

As Hal_Al explains, your husband is the one that will amend HIS MFS return into a MFJ return. 

Once you switch to MFJ, you can't switch back to MFS after the tax due deadline for that return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ami1010
Returning Member

i have already filed taxes separately. my husband has not filed yet. and now we want to file jointly. so i need to file amend form. when can my husband file his taxes? after i summited my  change of status amend form ? does he has to wait untill i filed amend ? or he has to file with MY amend form? 

He has to add his info to your amended return.   You amend you return to Joint and add his info to it.  That's all.  He doesn't need to file his own return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies