Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i deduct "project management professional" and "certified scrum master" certification renewal cost as part of my taxes?

i work as a consultant IT project manager and renewed my pmp/csm certifications in 2017.can i deduct certification renewal cost from my taxes? these certifications are required to stay competitive and improve skills by taking classes (One can renew pmp only after 60 hours for classes/pdu). These certification are not mandatory by employer but preferred qualification.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can i deduct "project management professional" and "certified scrum master" certification renewal cost as part of my taxes?

Yes, these are qualified employee expenses that can be included as Miscellaneous deductions on your Schedule A. 

Even though they are not mandatory, they are ordinary and necessary.

Here is the IRS language:

An expense is ordinary if it is common and accepted in your trade, business, or profession. An expense is necessary if it is appropriate and helpful to your business. An expense doesn't have to be required to be considered necessary.

These expenses must exceed 2% of your AGI before you will notice a difference on your tax return. 

For more information, see page 2 of the following: Misc. Deductions

thank you
Nasabulkk

I wonder if implementing some sort of management system affects the taxes obligations. Shall we declare it somehow?

Hey there! I know this post is a bit old, but I wanted to chime in for anyone else who might have a similar question. As for deducting your certification renewal costs from your taxes, I would recommend consulting with a tax professional or accountant to get a more accurate answer. It can vary depending on your individual circumstances and location. However, as an alternative solution, have you considered using an online project management system? It can help you stay organized and efficient with your projects, which can ultimately save you time and money. Some popular options include Trello, Asana, and Basecamp. Just a thought! Hope this helps.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies