Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cskarisma

Can I claim recovery rebate credit for my baby born in 2021? How can I check if it is applied on tax return on Turbo tax?

My baby was born in 2021, so I didn't get the stimulus check for him because the third stimulus check was based on 2018 and 2019 tax return. But I heard that I could claim my baby as dependent and recovery rebate credit. Is it true? How much is the credit?
I put all information of my baby in Turbo tax personal information section. (I checked 'my baby lived with me for a whole year'.) But I'm not sure if it is applied on my return which is I'm processing now. How can I check that?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I claim recovery rebate credit for my baby born in 2021? How can I check if it is applied on tax return on Turbo tax?

Be sure you said the new baby lived with you the WHOLE YEAR!  Go back and check that under My Info.

If you had a child born in 2021- Add them under My Info. You need to answer 2 questions…..

Did your child live with you for the whole year? Answer YES even if they were born late in the year (even on Dec 31).

Then was at least half of child's expenses paid by CHILD? Usually is NO.

Check 1040 line 28 for the Child Tax Credit.   It may have been added before you noticed or got to that section.  It will either increase your refund or reduce a tax due.

You should also get the 1,400 Recovery rebate credit for a baby on line 30.

Which box is checked at the top of 1040 for your child?  If the Child Tax Credit box isn't checked you answered something wrong.  Try deleting the baby and re enter him under My Info.

Before filing,  You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

Make sure you have entered your child as a dependent in My Info, and that you have entered the child's Social Security number. If your child was born in 2021make sure you said he lived with you the whole year.  There is an oddly worded question that asks if the child paid over half their own support.  Say NO to that question.

For a child born in 2021 you should be seeing the child tax credit of $3600 on line 28 and you should also see the recovery rebate credit of $1400 on line 30.   These will calculate down to the total refund you see on line 35a.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Oh I answered for the Child Tax Credit which you should also get 3600 on line 28.  The Recovery Rebate Credit is on line 30.  It should be 1400.  Did you get the 1400 for you or 2800 for married joint?  How much is on line 30?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies