turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I add my dad as a person I support. His income is1,485 a month. I buy food and pay bills I live with him my income is 49,558.31?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I add my dad as a person I support. His income is1,485 a month. I buy food and pay bills I live with him my income is 49,558.31?

in addition to my question my paycheck is $735.00 and I use at least $400.00 to buy food and household items?

@m-mdolphin wrote:

in addition to my question my paycheck is $735.00 and I use at least $400.00 to buy food and household items?

If he has gross income of $4,200 or more for the year (social security does not count) you cannot claim him as a dependent.

If all of his income is only from Social Security then you will have to determine if you are providing over one-half of his support for the year.  However, if his SS income is $1,485 a month (Annual $17,820) it is doubtful you can claim him.  Use this IRS worksheet for determining support - https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies