Can I add my dad as a person I support. His income...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add my dad as a person I support. His income is1,485 a month. I buy food and pay bills I live with him my income is 49,558.31?

2 Replies

Can I add my dad as a person I support. His income is1,485 a month. I buy food and pay bills I live with him my income is 49,558.31?

in addition to my question my paycheck is $735.00 and I use at least $400.00 to buy food and household items?

Level 15

@m-mdolphin wrote:

in addition to my question my paycheck is $735.00 and I use at least $400.00 to buy food and household items?

If he has gross income of $4,200 or more for the year (social security does not count) you cannot claim him as a dependent.

If all of his income is only from Social Security then you will have to determine if you are providing over one-half of his support for the year.  However, if his SS income is $1,485 a month (Annual $17,820) it is doubtful you can claim him.  Use this IRS worksheet for determining support - https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings