turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can a parent claim me under the following circumstances?

Can a parent claim me as a dependent if I provide more than half of my own support? I filled out my taxes with the box checked that someone was going to claim me but I also selected the box that I provided more than half of my own support. I am ok with this person claiming me on their taxes since I live with them but selected that I was paying for more than half of my living expenses. Is this going to create an issue? I am a college student under 24 and make somewhere around 10,000 dollars a year. I live at home since most of my money goes into college but pay for all of my other expenses personally. Do I need to make an amendment of some kind? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No, if a child provides more than half of their own support a parent cannot claim them. However, your expenses include things like food, lodging, clothes, medical, insurance, vehicles, etc.  So, depending on the rest of the scenario (ex. how much your parents make and the lifestyle they provide for you, utility bills, mortgage/rent, etc) be sure you are including those things in the calculation as to whether you are paying over half of your support or not.

When you selected that you paid more than half of your own support, the program should have determined that you were not a dependent and would not be claimed by someone else.. If this is what happened, then if the other person goes to claim you as a dependent their return will get rejected.  If they filed first, and you are not a dependent, then your return would be rejected. 

If they have not filed and you are paying more than half of your expenses then they just cannot add you to their return, because you do not qualify as a dependent then. 

If you are NOT paying more than half of your expenses and already filed, then you will need to Amend Your Return.  The Amended forms are expected to be available in TurboTax Online around February 7th.   It can take up to 16 weeks for the IRS to process an amended return.  This means, if they are going to claim you, they will need to print and mail their return as it will be rejected electronically until your amendment is processed. 

Remember, when you are filing the Amended Return, you will need to print and mail the 1040X as it is NOT able to be e-filed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies

No, if a child provides more than half of their own support a parent cannot claim them. However, your expenses include things like food, lodging, clothes, medical, insurance, vehicles, etc.  So, depending on the rest of the scenario (ex. how much your parents make and the lifestyle they provide for you, utility bills, mortgage/rent, etc) be sure you are including those things in the calculation as to whether you are paying over half of your support or not.

When you selected that you paid more than half of your own support, the program should have determined that you were not a dependent and would not be claimed by someone else.. If this is what happened, then if the other person goes to claim you as a dependent their return will get rejected.  If they filed first, and you are not a dependent, then your return would be rejected. 

If they have not filed and you are paying more than half of your expenses then they just cannot add you to their return, because you do not qualify as a dependent then. 

If you are NOT paying more than half of your expenses and already filed, then you will need to Amend Your Return.  The Amended forms are expected to be available in TurboTax Online around February 7th.   It can take up to 16 weeks for the IRS to process an amended return.  This means, if they are going to claim you, they will need to print and mail their return as it will be rejected electronically until your amendment is processed. 

Remember, when you are filing the Amended Return, you will need to print and mail the 1040X as it is NOT able to be e-filed.

My 1040 says that someone can claim me as a dependent and doesn't say anything about providing more than half support. Does this mean that the system ignored the check box that I selected that I support myself more than half?

It means somehow, the questions answered led TurboTax to accept that you were being claimed as a dependent.

Without walking through your return and seeing all the selections, I can't say for sure. Sometimes, people read a question backwards and answer it the way they don't mean to.

Does that effect the deduction that the system put in? It seems that turbo tax put in a deduction of 11,000. Is that supposed to be less since someone is claiming me? or is this not effected?

That is showing that someone else is claiming you.  If they were not, the deduction would be $12,000

Is this because the standard deduction has changed from 6350 to 12000? I have been researching, and it seems that this has changed from 17 to 18?

Correct
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies