turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If an estate k-1 shows income in box five, should I have received a check?

if an estate k-1 shows income in box five, should I have received a check?  That's all I have is the k-1 showing income in box 5.  The trustee who is also the accountant is unavailable

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

That is an issue you will have to take up with the trustee of the estate.  If you believe the K-1 is incorrect you must get it corrected... otherwise you must report the income on your return. 

so, yes I should have received a check that matched the amount in box 5?  The trustee is not available at the moment and won't be in time for me to file.

Well enter the K-1 as is  and take it up with them later... if needed you can amend later.

Should I have gotten a check?  Yes or no?  I'm not trying to be rude but there is a great deal of other personal information I would have to explain in order to make it clear why I am asking this specific question.  ie. it might not be a problem with the k-1 but with someone else intercepting & cashing the check secretly.  If I could get an answer about whether a check had to be sent for the amount on the k-1, I would know whether to pursue the avenue with the k-1 or the avenue of who may have secretly cashed the checked.

Box 5 is "Other portfolio and nonbusiness income." Why do you think you should have gotten a check for that?
This is an income tax forum,  and we cannot answer legal questions.

Amounts reported in Box 5 are not considered passive income, and consist of this beneficiary/taxpayer's share of any royalties, annuities and other income items (such as retirement benefits paid to an estate, investment income from other entities owned by the estate or trust such as pass through entities such as partnerships and S-Corporations or income with respect to a decedent) not otherwise reported on other Lines of the Schedule K-1 (1041).

You are really asking if this should have been distributed to you. Please see a local estate attorney.

I am not asking for legal advise.  I am asking whether for accounting purposes, assuming the k-1 is correct,  would funds always be disbursed to match what is reported on the K-1.  Forgive me for being such a simpleton.

We have no way of knowing that.  It depends upon your state's Estate law, the terms of any Trust, etc.

Yes, the income may have been passed thru but retained by the trust... so only the trustee will be able to explain it to you.   You also have the right to have the trust audited if you believe something is incorrect.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies