turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

heldtp

Box 18-20 blank on W2, I assume this means my employer did not withhold local taxes?

The Employer is in GA and I am in PA.  Could this be the reason they did not withhold tax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Box 18-20 blank on W2, I assume this means my employer did not withhold local taxes?

Yes, you are correct. If the fields are blank, it means there's no withholding and it does happen often if the employer is located in a different state.

one1deuce

hello. my employer is in Missouri, i am in California and my box 18 is blank. but box 19 is $968. my online tax form keeps giving me an error because it says box 18 cannot be blank. when i enter 0 into box 18 i get another error saying that box 19 has to be less than 30% of box 18?

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

Check with your company's payroll department. 

Box 19 is the local tax withheld, so box 18, which is the income you earned for that tax to be withheld on, can't be zero. 

It seems they will need to issue you a corrected W-2. 

PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information about W-2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do i go about filing this will i owe money back in taxes

Do i owe back in taxes if my employer didn’t put anything for lines 18-20 when there in tx an im in IN which is local tax state

@Kiyahbaby1013 Your state tax amounts are in boxes 16 and 17.    Boxes 18-20 are for city or local taxes.   Many people do not have anything in those boxes.   If they are blank on your W-2 leave them blank when you enter the information from your W-2.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

When I try to leave these boxes blank (im using an online company to file), it tells me that I cannot leave them blank and will not allow me to move on.

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

("I'm using an online company to file")

Are  you saying that you are not using TurboTax to prepare your tax return?  If so, our ability to help you here may be limited.

In TurboTax Online, you are able to delete lines 18 through 20 of the Form W-2 if those lines are not reporting information.

In TurboTax Online, click the trashcan icon to the right of the line line to remove the lines.

Does the software that you are using allow you to remove those lines, as well?

@ValerieKerch 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I actually decided to use Turbotax and it did allow me to leave those spaces blank.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies