turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eatit

Bait And Switch

You have lost a long time customer.  You posted an advertisement with one price and when I took the time to complete my taxes, you switched the prices and increased the cost to almost twice the cost. You also made a horrible design on your website.  You're going the wrong direction.  With those types of practices, you've proven that you can't be trusted with my info. Also, YOU DON'T HAVE AN OPTION TO DELETE MY ACCOUNT!!! Are you kidding?? You need to delete my information. If you get hacked and I am affected, there will be a lawsuit. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
AshleighP
Intuit Alumni

Bait And Switch

I'm sorry you're experiencing multiple frustrations with TurboTax right now. There are a few reasons the price might have ended up differently - did you end up in a different version of TurboTax than the one you started in? Perhaps there was something that prompted you to upgrade, or a situation with your taxes that required an upgrade.

In terms of deleting your account - Unfortunately, once a TurboTax account has been created, it cannot be deleted. If you'd like to clear all current information from the account, you can use the "Clear and Start Over" feature.

Once you've paid or registered, we're required to store copies of your return. These are the same requirements imposed on accountants, CPAs, and other professional tax preparers.

Whether you're going to use your TurboTax account in the future or not, we're still dedicated to protecting every customer's personal and financial information. Find out more.

Used

Bait And Switch

I feel bait and switched too. TurboTax basically required the Deluxe version at the end, after not indicating that I needed it earlier. It also claims the reason is the AMT, which we are below the minimum for and no questions were asked about during the return. Even worse, Turbo Tax claimed I needed to pay $59 for the Deluxe, but then after I did and I confirm my upgrade, only on the payment screen does it show a total of $110, because the local/state taxes also now cost more. I would expect such tactics from disreputable companies, but I had not suspected Intuit was one of these. Well, they got my money this year, but never again!

Bait And Switch

@Used wrote:

Well, they got my money this year, but never again!

Rather than giving up on TurboTax entirely, you might want to try using one of the desktop (CD/Download) products next year, if you have a computer on which to run the program. 

The desktop versions can be more economical (you can purchase them from authorized resellers, usually at lower prices) and all of the files, including your tax file reside on your computer. 

Used

Bait And Switch

Thank you for the advice, although I am overseas so I am not sure if I could find it here. Besides, I feel like I should not give my business to companies that use such tactics.

Bait And Switch

Moderator - while I use the CD version , I can understand the frustration of many

Those “free, free, free” ads are everywhere but it is not free for many

And I don’t understand why anyone would use the online version because it appears the CD version is cheaper (especially considering you can complete multiple tax returns with one software purchase - I complete 4 family member returns each year with one purchase)

Bait And Switch

@NCperson wrote:
And I don’t understand why anyone would use the online version because it appears the CD version is cheaper.....

I suspect that could be because (a) the online version may only be available to those outside the U.S. (like @Used) or (b) the customer does not have an actual computer capable of running the desktop software (e.g., those who exclusively use iPads, smartphones).

Regardless, desktop versions are generally superior for anyone preparing a number of returns or more complex returns.

Bait And Switch

SWITCHING to another program after 10 years with turbo tax!!! 

Original price was $60 on webpage for premier pricing. Once I got to the end of the return it was $70!!!!

Called and turbo tax pretty much said they didnt care!!! Wish I could post screenshots! 

Bait And Switch

@reneegraley1 wrote:

Original price was $60 on webpage for premier pricing. Once I got to the end of the return it was $70!!!!

Which page? The price ($70) appears on the first page.

tt.png

Bait And Switch

@reneegraley1 wrote:

SWITCHING to another program after 10 years with turbo tax!!! 

Called and turbo tax pretty much said they didnt care!!! Wish I could post screenshots! 

The cost on the TurboTax website for the Premier online edition has been $70 ever since the online editions for tax year 2019 became available on December 4, 2019.

If you saw a different price it was on another website other than the official TurboTax website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

Bait And Switch

What a ripoff.  I selected your platform because it is advertised as being free.  After I finished my input and was ready to file, the program tells me I have to upgrade in order to file with no other option.  I click the only “selection” and get hit with a $160 charge which basically offset my $270 refund.  

This is criminal!!!!!   I will never use you again and will actively discourage every single person I can from using your corrupt products.  I want my money back!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies