turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rdljkl16

As an SLP, can I deduct online curriculum subscriptions and therapy supplies such as bubbles, books, craft supplies, etc?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

As an SLP, can I deduct online curriculum subscriptions and therapy supplies such as bubbles, books, craft supplies, etc?

If you're an employee -- someone who receives a Form W-2 for their services -- you can no longer claim such a deduction.

Unfortunately, job-related expenses for employees are no longer deductible under the new law.  Please see the TurboTax Help article "Can employees deduct any job-related expenses?" for more information. 

However, if you're self-employed as a Speech-Language Pathologist, these would appear to be “ordinary and necessary” expenses, and should be deductible.

Please see the TurboTax Help article "Where do I enter my self-employment business expenses, like home office, vehicle mileage, and suppli..." for guidance.

[Edited 03/09/2020 12:58 pm]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

If you're an employee -- someone who receives a Form W-2 for their services -- you can no longer claim such a deduction.

Unfortunately, job-related expenses for employees are no longer deductible under the new law.  Please see the TurboTax Help article "Can employees deduct any job-related expenses?" for more information. 

However, if you're self-employed as a Speech-Language Pathologist, these would appear to be “ordinary and necessary” expenses, and should be deductible.

Please see the TurboTax Help article "Where do I enter my self-employment business expenses, like home office, vehicle mileage, and suppli..." for guidance.

[Edited 03/09/2020 12:58 pm]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies