Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

patric

I paid my babysitter less than $2000 in 2017. Does that mean I do not have to give her a W-2?

I paid our babysitter less than $2000 cash in 2017. Does that mean I do not have to submit a W-2? 

Do I have to pay any taxes on what I paid her? Again, it was less than $2000.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I paid my babysitter less than $2000 in 2017. Does that mean I do not have to give her a W-2?

Yes. If you pay a "household employee", such as a baby sitter, less than $2000, you are exempt from the "nanny tax". You do not have to pay any tax or file schedule H.

The baby sitter is also exempt from FICA (social security and medicare) tax, but not income tax. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. If you pay a "household employee", such as a baby sitter, less than $2000, you are exempt from the "nanny tax". You do not have to pay any tax or file schedule H.

The baby sitter is also exempt from FICA (social security and medicare) tax, but not income tax. 

AnthonyJ

No, you will not be required to issue your babysitter a W-2.

You must provide a Form W-2 if one of these is true:

• You paid the employee at least $2,000 in 2017.
  • You paid the employee wages of any amount, and you withheld federal tax.

If you meet one of those rules, you must issue a W2 regardless of the age of the babysitter.

With this situation, if we dont give a w2, can we still claim the<2000.00 as childcare expenses for our taxes?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. But, you will have to provide the childcare provider's SS# to claim the dependent care credit

Thanks!

And make sure your babysitter knows you are claiming the childcare credit.  She has to report her income from babysitting.  The iRS matches up what you claim you paid and what she reports on her own tax return.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Babysitter has to report it in any case.

Of course....but many people are unaware of that.  Don't want the babysitter to have a problem later.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

It makes everything MUCH easier if you just give her an W-2.  It is easy to file.

Except for the fact that the deadline for supplying a 2017 W-2 is long past.

Asking for 18, just found this conversation helpful and applicable.

You might want to review IRS pub 926 "Household Employer's Tax Guide"
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p926.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p926.pdf</a>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies