turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lpicknick

I work in Missouri and live in Kansas. I took a job making 8000 more a year but my no weekly checks are smaller. What can I do, this is causing financial hardship.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I work in Missouri and live in Kansas. I took a job making 8000 more a year but my no weekly checks are smaller. What can I do, this is causing financial hardship.

As the others have said, you need to look at your paystub to see exactly what is being withheld, and why.  If you do not understand, ask your employer.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Are you having state taxes withheld from your wages for both Missouri and Kansas?

To start with, what are the deductions causing trouble?  Are they federal taxes, state taxes, or other deductions like insurance, or parking, or participation in other benefit plans?
Carl
Level 15

Actually, this is a TurboTax support forum where users support and help each other with tax matters and the use of the TurboTax program. This is not a financial management or financial advice forum. I would suggest you get with someone in your locale that is versed in financial matters and seek their assistance with managing your income and expenses. Basically, you need to do at least one of two things.
 - Increase your income
 - decrease your spending
Hal_Al
Level 15

Your employer may be withholding CITY income tax, in addition to state income tax. You are subject to paying both MO state and city tax. But, when you file your KS state return, KS will give you a credit for taxes paid to MO (both city and state). MO has higher tax than KS (6% top rate vs 4.6% plus city), so you will not get full credit fro KS. So, you are probably looking at 2%  more of your total salary (not just the $8000 raise) going to state & city tax

As the others have said, you need to look at your paystub to see exactly what is being withheld, and why.  If you do not understand, ask your employer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies