Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

gredwards

Anyone else having problem e-filing with IRS Form 2210 under tax reform

I tried to override the form (2210) but it won't let me e-file with an override.

46r
Returning Member

The IRS Form 2210 actually says to add "85% Waiver" next to Box A when you meet the worksheet criteria.  But IRS doesn't seem to recognize it as I get the same message as others.  Note that I'm using the online version.

kutty
Returning Member

I was able to get rid of the check mark in box A by using the right click override method suggested in this forum.  Form 2210 disappeared from the forms list and didn't return.   I resubmitted my federal taxes and they were accepted.  I am using the desktop version on a Windows PC.  

Not only online, have desktop and got the rejection yesterday. Getting a refund, but form 2210 does not have an explanation attached so IRS rejected.

M-M
Returning Member

I am having the same issue. Using the desktop version. We paid estimated tax, as well as withholding; however, owe a small amount. We've paid in over 97% of what we owe. I've tried submitting several times (probably going to go over TT limit on efile) and it is continuously rejected. I guess I'll try again after Feb. 22. TT needs to add additional efiles for those of us going through this mess.

kutty
Returning Member

Yes, rejected twice.  Got this on one of the forums and it worked.  Right click on Part II Box A, click on override, remove the X.  Form 2210 goes away, and stays away.  I then submitted taxes and they were accepted.

Here are exact steps so your return gets accepted, along with an an explanation of what's happening.

(This applies to people who DO owe federal tax, and whose total money paid in during the year through your job withholding and/or estimated tax payments are in between 85% and 90% of your total tax due.)

THE PROBLEM: Form 2210 gets included with your return automatically in certain situations in which TurboTax thinks you may owe a small penalty for not having enough taxes paid in throughout the year (such as through withholding on your paychecks from work, or sending in quarterly estimates if you're self-employed). Usually, if you've paid in 90% of your tax bill, then you don't have to file Form 2210 or pay that small penalty (and there are a couple of other exceptions to paying that small penalty).

BUT... the tax law changes in 2018 kind of messed with the amount many people were having withheld from their pay checks, so there were a lot of people who would have fallen just short of that 90% threshold . My understanding is that the government basically said "Hey, we're not going to change the form, but for 2018 if you had paid in at least 85% of you total tax bill through withholding or estimates, then we'll let you off the hook from any penalty. But you have to fill out the form 2210 and write on there that the 85% Exception applies to you."

If you're a person reading this, you probably ran into this problem, and TurboTax has probably (appropriately) included Form 2210 to your return, and in the bottom half of that form, under Part II, letter A, they probably typed "85% Exception" at the end of the wording for that Letter A.

While the IRS is SUPPOSED to accept it that way (with "85% Exception" written on the actual Form 2210), the PROBLEM is that the electronic verification systems at the IRS are looking for an additional page of the return to provide the explanation of what exception gets you out of paying that small penalty.

HOW TO FIX IT: In order to make it so that the IRS will accept your return electronically, you have to FORCE TurboTax to add another page to your return. It is a very short page called "Additional information from your 2018 Federal Tax Return". To do this:

1. Go back into TurboTax to edit your return.

2. Click for the "Personal Tab" then "Other Tax Situations" (I'm using the Home & Business edition, what you need to click may be slightly different depending on the version you're using). If it asks you if you want to explore on your own, that's what you want to do (rather than having them ask you a ton of unrelated questions).

3. Under the heading of Additional Tax Payments, next to Underpayment Penalties, click the Update button.

4. When it asks "Do you want to review the information on your Underpayment of Estimated Tax form?" say YES. Then just CONTINUE through the screens about filing status, tax liability, and adjusted gross income. Say NO to Annualized Income Method. Say NO to Actual Withholding. And CONTINUE past the Date Of Payment screen. Now.... you're finally almost to the right place....

5. On the "Penalty Waivers" screen, say YES (because you have an "unusual circumstance" as mentioned on the screen.

6. On the "You Can Request a Waiver" screen, say YES.

7. On the "Do You Want to Reduce Your Penalty" screen, say "WAIVE ALL"

8. On the "Penalty Waiver Info" screen, there are some blank lines that says "Explain reasons for waiver (use as many lines as necessary)." You ONLY need to type "85% Exception" into the top line. Then CONTINUE.

9. The next screen should say "You don't owe an underpayment penalty. However Form 2210 must be filed...." Just continue on by clicking "Done with Penalty".

10. Go to the Federal Review tab.... and go back through the normal steps for resubmitting your return through the e-file process. When it gives you the chance to preview your return, you should DEFINITELY check it. There should be an additional page added as the last page of your Federal return, called "Additional information from your 2018 Federal Tax Return" which will only fill about 1/4 of a page, and all it should say on it is "Form 2210: Underpayment of Estimated Tax, Line 17, Waiver Explanation Statement, 85% Waiver".  That's what you want, so that the electronic verification of your incoming return at the IRS sees that page and says "Yep, this person submitted that extra page to tell us why they felt they deserve to have the penalty waived. All is good. Approve their submission."

Hopefully, the IRS will fix this bug eventually, but the steps above should work for many people who encountered this problem.

(Note: I'm not a tax professional, and not an employee of Intuit/TurboTax... just been doing my own taxes and using tax software a long time. Hope the instructions above were helpful.)

Thanks. Glad it worked for you, but in the online version, I can’t do step 8 because there are no blank lines to fill in and nothing asking for an explanation. I assume you used the downloaded version of TurboTax and nor the online version?  

I also have this issue. Despite TT's fix and personal assistance from a TT support team member, my return was again been rejected on 2-17. TT should change its software to allow a user override for Box A, Form 2210 and/or allow the creation of a written explanation (CMD I in Forms MAC edition). 

If anyone has figured a workaround for this problem, please post it.

kutty
Returning Member

I already posted this solution, My taxes rejected twice.  Got this solution on one of the forums and it worked for me.  Right click on Part II Box A, click on override, remove the X.  Form 2210 goes away, and stays away.  I then submitted taxes and they were accepted.  I have the desktop version of TurboTax.

green_growler
Returning Member

Kutty's solution worked for me. My situation might be different:

1. I had no withholding in 2018
  2. I paid 2018 estimated taxes in four equal installments, before each due date, totaling 100% of my 2017 total tax.
  3. I e-filed my 2018 tax return and got rejected due to "F2210-003 - If Form 2210, Part II, Line A checkbox 'WaiverOfEntirePenaltyInd' is checked, then [WaiverExplanationStatement] must be attached to Form 2210.".
  4. I followed the instructions by going into the forms mode and opening Form 2210. Box A was checked. I clicked on the "Explain" box to the right of Box B which opened a Waiver Explanation Statement. I filled that out with the explanation outlined in 1 & 2 above.
  5. I e-filed a 2nd time and was again rejected a 2nd time.
  6. Next time I used kitty's solution. I again went into the Forms mode and opened Form 2210. I right clicked box A. The check mark turned from black to red. I unchecked the red X and Form 2210 disappeared.
  7. I e-filed a 3rd time and it was accepted.

I had previously talked to a TT representative, but she was no help. Thanks kutty.

kutty
Returning Member

Thanks for the thanks, but I got the solution from someone further up this chain (or in another chain, not sure)

Friendly_Helper's response worked for me using the online version!  Thank you for the easy to follow and thorough post!

The solutions I have seen so far work only for the software version, not the online version, which (unaccountably) does not allow direct access to any forms, including the 2210, to modify or override information. If anyone is aware of a fix for the online version, please let me know.

lewisbaum
Returning Member

It is a bug, but I called Intuit support and was able to get the issued resolved and my 3rd E-file attempt was successful.
The rep explained that while many may be having similar issues - the fix is different based on the individual.
In my case - when we reviewed (via Step by Step) under PERSONAL > OTHER TAX SITUATIONS > ADDITIONAL TAX PAYMENTS > UNDERPAYMENT PENTALTIES...the tax due brought in from the 2017 listed an amount, but since we paid a penalty in 2017, the 2017 liability should have shown as zero.  Once we changed that - the need for Form 2210 was removed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies