turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mkitlan

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Crashes on save after import of large 1099-B. First time, received error 567809. Subsequent attempts all crash the program and relaunch with no error.

TurboTax Premier 2018 - Windows (downloaded version).

Steps:

Import large volume Robinhood-Apex 1099-B

Get message: We notice you have more than 1,000 financial transactions to import. This may take several minutes and could cause TurboTax to run slowly.

Click OK

Click Import Now

<1 minute to import>

None of these apply to me --> Click Continue

TurboTax window goes 'Not Responding' for about a minute

Review sales --> Click Done --> Click Done

Attempt to File->Save  --> Crashes and relaunches TurboTax with no error and changes are not saved.

Computer Info:

2015 Core i7 quad core - 16gb RAM

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies
linye

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Crashes on save after import of large 1099-B. First time, received error 567809. Subsequent attempts all crash the program and relaunch with no error.

Any progress on this. I have the same problem, it seems that turbotax can't handle large downloaded transaction, does any one try other tax software, such as taxcut?

"I have transactions that have Disallowed Wash Sale amounts, which means I can't use Summary."
Not so, if you click the adjustments box and enter non-zero for wash sales disallowed,
TurboTax will mark your 8949 M (mail in election).
In that case you would print and mail in your entire 1099-B report.

If the number is not overwhelming, you can enter wash sales manually and then use the subtotals on the bottom of 8949 to reduce your summary values.
If you do that you can e-File and no mail-in is needed.

I highly suggest you use the Summary option instead of an import which is probably being blocked or hampered by your antivirus program ...

How to enter a summary in lieu of individual transactions

Your brokerage statements should include a summary of your transactions, grouped by sales category, for example "Box A short-term covered" or "Box D long-term covered". You'll enter the summary info instead of each individual transaction.

1.    Open your return in TurboTax Online (if it's not already open) and search for stock sales in the upper-right corner.

2.    Click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.

3.    Answer Yes to both Did you sell any investments? and Did you get a 1099-B?

o    If you land on Here's the investment sales info we have so far, select Add More Sales. Then answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-B?

4.    On the Choose Your Bank or Brokerage import screen, select I'll type it in myself.

5.    Select or enter your brokerage on the next screen and continue.

6.    On the following screen (Tell us about...) select the second option, I'll enter a summary.

7.    On the same screen, enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Done.

8.    Follow the onscreen instructions to enter additional sales or to view a summary.

When you are done entering all your sales transactions, you'll eventually come to the Here's the investment sales info we have so far screen. Here you can edit, delete, or enter more sales.

mkitlan

I have transactions that have Disallowed Wash Sale amounts, which means I can't use Summary.
I have over 1000 entries on the 1099-B. If I wanted to manually enter everything, I wouldn't need tax automation software like TurboTax.

I do the summary option with wash sales for all my clients ... it can be done.

@Critter#2 do you submit or have them submit their 1099-B report via US Mail ?
mkitlan

I have a 1000+ page 1099-B, I would rather not mail it.  
Also, we are discussing work-arounds, when I have already paid for a software product that is designed to handle this. The software needs to be fixed.

The issue is Robinhood import is new for this year. many are reporting problems with Robinhood's baby steps to get Import working.

1000 transactions is a lot. 1000 pages, hopeless.IRS has ways to accept your documents on electronic media.

The mail in election has always been Turbotax's default solution for very large numbers of transactions. ie they will say "working as designed".
mkitlan

For 2018, Robinhood used two different clearing houses so I have two separate 1099-B's.  I was able to import the latter one (Robinhood Securities) successfully, but the earlier 1099-B (Robinhood - Apex) is the one that is causing the crashing. I actually have more transactions on the 1099-B that imported correctly.

If I try to import JUST the Robinhood - Apex 1099-B FIRST, upon attempting to Save, it doesn't crash, but it gives: Looks like we're having trouble saving your return. Please try saving again. Error: 567809"
Trying to import Robinhood Securities 1099-B and then importing Robinhood - Apex 1099-B, and attempting to Save causes a crash.

@fanfare  no they do not ... professional programs can attach the 1099-B to the efiled return  

@mkitlan  you ONLY have to send the non covered pages since the IRS already has the covered information ... that will reduce the amount you need to send in ... when you enter the summaries make a line entry for each section....  short term covered & long term covered  then  ones for short term non covered & long term non covered ( and that is exactly what I call them).

that's not what the IRS instructions say, nor is it what the TurboTax instructions in the pop-up box say.
If you were right, hardly anyone would ever Import. non-covered transactions are unusual and becoming rarer.

Well  I have been doing this for 5 years now and none of my clients have gotten a single letter.... if it works roll with it.

Can each catagory be summaries in one entry for multiple pages of transactions? 3000+ transactions. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies