Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Amending taxes

I need to amend my taxes… it is a pension payment that goes in line 5a and I can not figure out how to do it. 

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Amending taxes

Hi - 

If you originally filed your return with TurboTax, we can help streamline the steps outlined above. If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.”

• You must file a separate Form 1040-X for each tax return you are amending.

Heads up
• Amended returns can take more than three months for the IRS to process.

  • Line 5a on Form 1040 or 1040-SR is for the total amount of pension and annuity payments you received during the tax year.
  • You calculate that figure by adding up the amounts in box 1 of any Forms 1099-R you received from financial service providers.
  • Leave line 5a blank if your pension and annuity payments were fully taxable. Enter the total amount of those payments on line 5b instead.

    Once you select Amend, you will add the 1099-R and answer the follow-up questions to determine if the amount received is taxable.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies