Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ReillyTax
Returning Member

Amending my 2018 Return

Back in 2018, my mom helped me file my taxes, she gave my two sets of W2's to a tax accountant. 

(My total income that year was about 31k, which I've already paid the taxes on)  Now im using the TurboTax Premier 2018 software to amend my taxes. When i put my W2's on there, it says I owe upwards of 5k, which seems absurd, because I already had my taxes paid on that Income, should I include my W2's in my inputs or leave it out? Im using the software to amend a 30k capital gains LOSS that i had, which only slightly alleviates the negative balance (bringing it from 6k+ to 5k+), but when i dont include the W2's, It returns to $0.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Amending my 2018 Return

First of all  To amend a return you did somewhere else, you would first have to fill out Turbo Tax like you are doing the original return.    You have to recreate the actual wrong original return.  Then when it matches each line that you really filed you have to tell Turbo Tax you will mail it so it thinks it was filed.  Then you can amend it.

jhorn

Amending my 2018 Return

Get a copy of what was filed in 2018.  go through the actual forms and make sure that it is filed in the same way with only the changes that you want to make being added.  Turbo tax may be filing something differently than before, which may be incorrect.

ReillyTax
Returning Member

Amending my 2018 Return

Yeah so I got a transcript of my 2018 taxes, it has my correct amount of income filed on there. 

It has a section labeled "Transactions" 

it says "Tax Return Filed" with Amount $2,117

"W2 or 1099 Witholding"  -$2,109.06

"Payment with return" -$8 

It also says later in the "Refund or Amount Owed" section that "Amount you Owe" is $8, so i think I should only owe $8. It also says "Estimated Tax Penalty" of $0.

Thank you.

ReillyTax
Returning Member

Amending my 2018 Return

@VolvoGirl 

So your saying file the whole old return, which is saying I should owe 6k of taxes, on income ive already been taxed on? basically on just my W2s from that year. Then just say im gonna mail it, does it give me a print out or something? And then after that Redo it, with my 30k off losses incorporated the second time?

My problem is that TurboTax is saying i owe more than 6k on only 31k of income. Which I already had paid taxes on, even with my losses incorporated it only brings it down to 5k, is it saying I have to pay that 5k now? Sorry to be repetitive 

jhorn

Amending my 2018 Return

You will need a copy of the actual forms filed.  Not a summary.  The other person who replied is correct, to amend a return, you have to fill out what was previously filed along side what the new numbers should be.  So Turbotax will need to know what the original numbers were.  In order to make sure they match, don't go through the questionaire, just hit "go to forms" in the tabs at the top of the  page in turbotax, and fill them out exactly as your copy shows.  Then tell turbo tax you filed by mail, then fill it out the new way.  Are you sure the law allowed for a deduction for the capital gains loss in 2018?  Does the deduction need to be more than the standard deduction? There may be other issues keeping you from getting more money back.  You cannot get back more than you paid in.  So you can't get back more than $2117.  Sorry I am not much help here.

Amending my 2018 Return

Amending is a special process.  You have to start with the original return.  So you first have to pretend to do the real return.  You can use the Forms Mode to fill it out.  It has to match the real filed return including the tax due.  

Then save a copy of the first return.  Then save another copy with a different name to amend.  Go up to File-Save and Save As.

How to amend a Desktop return,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2019-return-in-the-turbotax-cd-d...

Or You can find Amend under

Federal Taxes or Personal (for Home & Business)

Other Tax Situations

Amending my 2018 Return

Sorry if that link is old and doesn't work use this one.  It is for 2017 but should be the same for 2018

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return-in-the-turbotax-cd-download... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies