How do I amend my 2017 return in the TurboTax CD/D... - Community

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
Intuit
,Created with Sketch.422 helpful votes

How do I amend my 2017 return in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

Follow these directions:

1. Open the return you want to amend in your TurboTax software program.
  2. Make sure your return is exactly as it was when you originally filed it.
    • If you made changes after you filed, undo them. We suggest comparing your onscreen numbers with a paper copy of your filed return.
  3. Now, make an "amend" copy your return by selecting Save As (Mac: select Duplicate) from the File menu. This preserves the originally-filed return.
    •  Name the copy to distinguish it from the original, e.g., 2017 Amended Smith B Form 1040 Return or similar.
  4. You should now be working inside the copy you'll be amending. Inside your program, search for amend and then click the "Jump to" link.
  5. Continue past the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen.
  6. On the following screen, Have you already filed this return? select the first option (Yes) and then select I need to amend my 2017 return. Click Continue and then carefully follow the onscreen instructions to amend.
    • Don't worry if your refund meter drops to 0; this is normal. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.
  7. When finished, provide instructions for mailing your amended return, as amendments cannot be e-filed.

3 weeks after mailing your amended federal return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site.  Allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.

Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post