turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I able to file a 8915-E when filing my taxes myself online through TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

You will be when the IRS releases the form.

CARES Act retirement plan COVID-19 related distributions can be paid back over 3 years or the tax spread over 3 years.

That is reported on a new 8915-E form that is not yet available and there is no estimated release date since the form is still in the draft state at the IRS. There is no telling how long it will take the IRS to make the electronic form available. Typical it takes the IRS 2-4 weeks to release the electronic form specifications after the paper version is released. e-file providers must program from the electronic specifications.

The draft paper form is here:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f8915e--dft.pdf
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i8915e--dft.pdf

Also to see if you qualify for a COVID-19 related distribution see:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/coronavirus-related-relief-for-retirement-plans-and-iras-questions-and-...

Quote:
Q3. Am I a qualified individual for purposes of section 2202 of the CARES Act?

A3. You are a qualified individual if –

You are diagnosed with the virus SARS-CoV-2 or with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) by a test approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;

Your spouse or dependent is diagnosed with SARS-CoV-2 or with COVID-19 by a test approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;

You experience adverse financial consequences as a result of being quarantined, being furloughed or laid off, or having work hours reduced due to SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19;

You experience adverse financial consequences as a result of being unable to work due to lack of child care due to SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19; or

You experience adverse financial consequences as a result of closing or reducing hours of a business that you own or operate due to SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19.

Under section 2202 of the CARES Act, the Treasury Department and the IRS may issue guidance that expands the list of factors taken into account to determine whether an individual is a qualified individual as a result of experiencing adverse financial consequences. The Treasury Department and the IRS have received and are reviewing comments from the public requesting that the list of factors be expanded.
End quote

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The IRS has a new Form 8915-E for COVID-19 related retirement account withdrawals.  This form has not been finalized by the IRS for filing with a 2020 federal tax return.  The IRS has not announced when this form will be available.  Once available it will be included in the TurboTax software.

We estimate the form may be available sometime in February.

Form 8915-E has been effective since 2/12/21 on the IRS web site.  When are you updating your software?  The approved form looks exactly like the draft.  Please tell me you had software designed off the draft and can finalize soon like today.  ???

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

We have to submit our forms to the IRS for approval and do rigorous testing before including them in our software.  We are working as quickly and efficiently as we can to release Form 8915-E. 

For current information on forms availability please click on the applicable link below:

@sjwestover

The TurboTax 8915-E should be available on Feb. 24 (pending IRS approval by then).

The IRS just finalized the form on Feb 11. TurboTax must now submit their 8915-E software to the IRS for testing to be sure that both TurboTax and the IRS e-file computer are comparable. That process usually takes the IRS 2-3 weeks for approval to release the new form to the public.

See below for a link to sign up for an email when the form is ready.

This form is necessary to report COVID related distributions from IRA's and other retirement plans to report the distribution, pay it back over 3 years or spread the tax over 3 years.

A COVID-19 related distribution is reported on a new 8915-E form.

See this TurboTax FAQ to sign up for an e-mail when the form is ready.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-getting-getting-a-10-penalty-on-my-1099-r...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

So if I fill out a physical 8915-E how do I reflect this on my turbo tax form 1040? or how do I do this on turbo tax? All post before this make it seems like it should be available...

The 8915-E was in all TurboTax versions as of Feb 26.

Yes you will.  The form went live on TurboTax on February 26, 2021.  I had been anxiously awaiting this form because i took $30K out of a 401k last year and did not want to pay the 10% early withdrawal.  Finished my taxes today and e-filed with TurboTax and the 8915-e portion went smooth as silk.  Happy filings.

Yeah I have gathered from other posts the form is available, but the program isn’t giving me the option when entering my 1099-R information for my withdrawals it asked once about if the withdrawal was covid related and then not on the other. Wasn’t even asking this question the first time I entered this info. So I have deleted the info again. How can I get help with this problem? 

@jlesoccer12 wrote:

Yeah I have gathered from other posts the form is available, but the program isn’t giving me the option when entering my 1099-R information for my withdrawals it asked once about if the withdrawal was covid related and then not on the other. Wasn’t even asking this question the first time I entered this info. So I have deleted the info again. How can I get help with this problem? 

What is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R?  Is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box checked?  Is there an amount entered in box 2a of the form?  Is anything checked in box 2b?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies