turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rnn47

Received bitcoin for free in 2014 and I sold it mid-December 2017--what am I supposed to do for taxes?

Long story short, in 2014 Coinbase had a sign up promotion where they gave students $10 worth of Bitcoin if they signed up with their .edu address. I took advantage of that, and sold when it hit $460 in mid-December. Now, what am I supposed to do regarding taxes? Technically, I never bought anything, so is this even considered speculation? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Received bitcoin for free in 2014 and I sold it mid-December 2017--what am I supposed to do for taxes?

all investing is speculation, when you get down to it, for no one knows what the future will bring.
maglib
Level 11

The IRS considers bitcoin property and therefore every move is considered a taxable transaction.  Gains are reportable.  you can not take net losses on personal property but only investment property.

For this, go to "Personal", "Investment Income",  "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other", and record each transaction with the date you sold the coins, for how much, when you acquired them, and for what.  use the section Other as your choice since you did no active moves.

You can choose to summarize reporting.  The rules to follow are provided in 8949 for property by the IRS https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8949.pdf

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies