turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xsabers

How can I replace a lost 1099-misc form if I don't know who issued it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

10 Replies

Can you provide more details....if you don't know who issued it, how do you know IF it was issued or IF it is lost?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
xsabers

Thanks.  She remembers receiving it.  She did a number of small jobs and one met the threshold for the 1099.  She just can't remember which company it was from.  It was an on-line thing.  I think I have my answer though.  Thanks so much!

All business income needs to be reported, whether you get a 1099MISC for it or not.  "She" should be keeping track of all business income and expenses to report on her tax return.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

tb10

If you know who issued it, is the company who issued it able to issue you a new replacement for the lost one?

You don't need to enter the actual 1099Misc.  Just enter all your income under General or Cash income.  Only the total of all goes to schedule C.  It isn't broken out.  

Dmunoz07

Hi do you mean if I know how much was on the 1099 I can add that to my self-employee income? I won't need the other information from the 1099? 

Yes.  As long as you report the total 1099Misc income or more on schedule C it's ok.  You should be keeping your own good records of your income.  Only the total income goes to schedule C line 1.

Roseyfly

I tried to get a copy of my 1099 MISC from that link. they only offer copy of 1099's the following year. I need it this year and the company I worked for told me when I closed my account with them that they sent it to me. I have requested a replacement 1099 as they did not send me one and they have also directed me to the IRS. Is there any way I can get a replacement 1099MISC this year for 2019 so I can complete my taxes. I do not want to add up my income. enter the wrong thing and end up audited or fined for putting inaccurate information on my taxes. 

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

@Roseyfly

"Wage and Income Transcript - shows data from information returns we receive such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information. Current tax year information may not be complete until July. This transcript is available for up to 10 prior years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T."

See this IRS webpage.

Make another pass at your former employer and show them this language from the IRS (with all the uproar this year, will the forms will even be ready by July?). See if you can guilt your former employer into getting you a copy of the 1099.

Otherwise, you have several choices.

1. File an extension (form 4868) and you will have up to October 15th to file your return (any tax due, however, will still be due July 15th)

2. Wait until July to file your return and hope that you can get the 1099 from the IRS before then

3. File your return as is, then when you get the 1099 one way or the other, file an amended return. 

Do you know if you will owe tax this year, with this 1099 income? If so, getting the 1099 as soon as possible so that you can pay the tax in a timely fashion will avoid interest and possibly penalties (if you under withheld a lot)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies