turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sshan

My son worked in the summer receiving w2 form, $2700. I file him as my dependent. How can I input the w2 form under his name, not me or my spouse.

How to enter dependent's W2 forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ModestaL1
Intuit Alumni

My son worked in the summer receiving w2 form, $2700. I file him as my dependent. How can I input the w2 form under his name, not me or my spouse.

You can not include a dependent child's earned income on your tax return. Your son can file his own tax return and receive a refund of the taxes withheld or balance owed. You can still claim your son as a dependent under the Qualifying Child rules. He must indicate on this tax return that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child. 

6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.

7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

Here's a link to the IRS website for more information: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p929.pdf

I hope this helps! If you have any additional questions, please feel free to add a comment below!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
rcts2010

Age limit: What is about BOD is 12/12/92, single full time student and supported by parent, can he account as dependent? Where to report his W2?
ModestaL1
Intuit Alumni

You can not include a dependent child's earned income on your tax return. Your son can file his own tax return and receive a refund of the taxes withheld or balance owed. You can still claim your son as a dependent under the Qualifying Child rules. He must indicate on this tax return that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child. 

6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.

7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

Here's a link to the IRS website for more information: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p929.pdf

I hope this helps! If you have any additional questions, please feel free to add a comment below!

Prepare a return in his name, indicating that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  Don't put his income on your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dre-qui11

I keep seeing different answers saying we can add and we can’t add, what is the correct answer? Even if we add his/her w2 we will still get there tax return added to mine, right?

You cannot include your childs W2 info on your tax return.  Simply claim him on your return as a dependant, as if he had no W2.

Then,  file a separate return for your child, but, and very important, make sure you/he checks that he can be claimed as dependant by someine else.

He may even get a refund if there were any withholdings on his income.

You cannot include your childs W2 info on your tax return.  Simply claim him on your return as a dependant, as if he had no W2.

Then,  file a separate return for your child, but, and very important, make sure you/he checks that he can be claimed as dependant by someone else.

He may even get a refund if there were any withholdings on his income.

@dre-qui11 Not sure what you have been reading--but you do not put your child's W-2 on your own tax return.

MY DEPENDENT HAD A JOB

If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.  You may want to use this version of TT for that:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What if I filed my son W2s with mines. Do I need to amend my taxes?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would need to amend your taxes to remove his income from your return. He may need to file a return if he made more than $12,400 or to get a refund of federal taxes that he paid.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies