turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After my "taxes owed" goes to 0, is there any point in entering more deductions?

While I am over the level where I need to file a return, TT quickly decided that my "refund" was zero.  I haven't yet entered a number of my deductions (tax prep, medical insurance/expenses, charity, etc), but is there any point?  Why chase around after all these numbers if they aren't going to make anything better for me?  And yes, I'm quite certain there is no possibility of any type of refund.

In the unlikely event that the IRS decides there's a problem with my return and that I owe them money, I'm going to essentially have to redo everything anyway, aren't I?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SueT

After my "taxes owed" goes to 0, is there any point in entering more deductions?

You are certainly not required to enter any deductions if you don't want to. And you're correct, if you know there's no possibility of a refund, entering them won't change anything for you. The IRS will never care if you omit deductions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SueT

You are certainly not required to enter any deductions if you don't want to. And you're correct, if you know there's no possibility of a refund, entering them won't change anything for you. The IRS will never care if you omit deductions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies