Adopted Child - Changed name but not SSN

mid-south

We adopted a child and changed his name, but didn't report it to the Soc Sec Admin. Tax return was rejected because name and SSN doesn't match. Do we need to contact the SSA and have them update their records and issue a new SS card?

For the purpose of getting the tax return filed, you needed to use the name that matches the SS card.  Going forward, if you changed your child's name, then of course you need to contact Social Security and update everything.
jade2082

I had the same issue with adoption credit.  I didn't report my adopted child's new name to the SSA and the IRS rejected my tax return last year.  Can I reclaim what the IRS rejected?

You can amend the return to get the credit that was disallowed. Make sure to send a letter of explanation with the 1040X so they don't deny it again just to be safe.
Lisa995

You need to use whatever name the SSA has on file, that's what IRS matches with.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

File the return now using the name on the SS card and change it later before next tax season.