turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Activation

Have you tried manually setting your computers dns to point to 8.8.8.8?  I had this problem, tried all of intuits worthless steps, then finally stumbled across changing my dns, and it worked.  The problem was because my router was always timing out during the first attempt, and the  ttax software had no sort of retry mechanism

See my post above for how to find the log file.  Post your error message.

Activation

@Gregor the Facebook support page works on the weekends.  They can push a new download to you.  Also, the support number 800-4INTUIT does work on Saturday at least.

Activation

The posted solutions did not work for me either.  

MauiMama

Activation

Installed, then tried to activate = all I see is spinning squares...like it is hungup...I uninstalled it and am trying to install it again.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Activation

Please contact TurboTax phone support since none of the fixes are working for you. The best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need is to select the version you are using below. We're open daily from 5 AM to 9 PM PT.

Please click here to for What is the TurboTax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Activation

This is terrible.  I burned through my 5 Activation codes on the same Win10 computer, spent 2 hours on the phone with support and received a new download and a new code that was somehow going to "fix" the problem.  That was 2 weeks ago, and now TurboTax has begun asking for the code again on the same computer.  Spent another 2 hours this morning.  All I get this time is transfers from one person to another and instruction to repeat the same 4 steps (disable antivirus, reboot router, reset DNS server addresses, flush DNS cache).  No other help at all.  None.  

The install worked fine for about 2 weeks before it started asking for the Activation Code again, but now it's asking for it every time.  I have done the 4 steps. And done them again.  The product is just not usable, and I am deep into preparing my return.

It would be great if someone from TurboTax would genuinely help.  Someone.

Activation

Adding insult to injury, after 2 hours on the phone with a non-technical TurboTax representative, she ended the call by saying I would receive a followup call from a knowledgeable representative within the hour.  My phone now rings every 10 minutes with an automated TurboTax followup call, but after saying, "This is your followup call...", the call ends.  Over and over and over.  This is agony.

Activation

A-Ha! An asinine activation implemention after all...

One thing that trips my repeated activation requests is having a USB drive connected when I start TTax. Apparently TTax stupidly decides that a new machine is in use when it sees this "extra" partition.

Good grief Intuit. Did you use interns to devise this infernal activation "security" check?

Apparently I cannot use TTax when any USB drive device is attached unless I use one of my activations.

Activation

Whoa.  You may be on to something.  I regularly have USB drives attached for system backup.  I did have my backup drive attached this morning and the problem reared it's ugly head, and it's entirely possible that I had one attached in the past when it asked for the Activation Code.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll try launching with USB attached/disconnected over the next several days to see if it fits.

Activation

I have been using this product for 20 years. Never have I encountered this type of activation issue. At each launch it requires me to reenter my license key. I installed on another PC thinking this would fix the problem. I contacted intuit and for an hour and a half troubleshooted with support team. I asked to speak to a supervisor who "Rudely" informed me that she has read the instruction manual and I am misinformed by thinking I can install on more than one computer. This is false, it clearly says so in the documentation I received with my CD. I paid for a product and I expect it to work! I am beyond furious by the customer service I received and I will be returning for a full refund as this is within my 60 day grace period along with a letter stating why I am unsatisfied.

Activation

I contacted support to fix license issue and was rudely informed by them that this is my fault for installing on more than one PC. Each time I launch it required me to reenter the key, and this was the reason I installed on a second PC to begin with. I am now out of activation keys and stuck with a product that will not work. I am beyond upset by the way I was treated when I contacted support. I will be sending this CD back along with a detailed letter explaining my situation. Very upsetting given the fact I have been a customer for 20+ years.

Activation

I installed TT with a USB drive attached. When I later went to use TT the drive was not attached and the code was requested. I did not comply. Re-attaching the drive removed the problem and TT was ready to proceed. 
This may not explain all problems but make sure you don’t change the configuration of your device.

Totally disappointed in TT.

Activation

You are spot on.  I validated the same issue: TurboTax sees differences in attached external storage as evidence of a new install, requiring a new Activation Code.  Sloppy software development, and shame on TurboTax for giving bad advice both online and on phone when not highlighting this issue.  And for not fixing it in the endless updates to the software.  

Activation

Thank goodness this lame activation doesn't affect Windows, or Microsoft Office, or for that matter any decent licensed software.

If an attached/unattached thumb drive breaks TT activation, one has to wonder about the quality of the tax filing programming itself.

Intuit's blunder never ceases to amaze.

And just FYI... this forum required  text code to authenticate. It took over an hour to reach me. Good grief!

patel1942

Activation

I have installed 2019 home & Bus version TT on one of my laptop, and them worked on some tax entries few days ago. today when I launch home & Bus version of the TT on the same computer, it is asking for license code again, and indicated that limit of 5 is exceeded. 

Why TT is asking for activation code??

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies