Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Activation Screen Hangs on Load

doesn't work. Still stuck on activation white screen.

Maybe a new thread for 2021 products.   Unbelievably for years this problem has existed..

OS:  windows 10, latest (as of 12/21), high res laptop screen 1980x1400 or so.   I'm running split login for safety;  normal user is non-admin.   Install went ok as non-admin giving the admin pw to the dialogue that pops up running the installer.

The activation screen hangs while blank. for both 2021 TT business,  home and business.

I did an in order of simple to complex steps to get one app past activvation;

- set run as administrator (no help)

- added both turbotax.exe's to the firewall exempt list (no help)

- did the forced resolution to 800x600 and this worked but I can' see what I'm typing.  Pasted the key from amazon..   Switched back to full resolution and it showed Successful. 

THIS IS CRAZY GUYS/GALES AT INTUIT!!!!

This is 2021 new product.

I have the same issue and Intuit has been completely non-responsive. Brand new Samsung laptop with Windows 11. All firewalls disabled. VPN disabled. Tried everything in this community thread. No idea how or why I got past the activation screen as I never entered my activation code. 

Now I am trying to login and get the same blank window of death and cannot login.

Does Intuit have any intention of supporting or fixing their product? 

Looks like Intuit is forcing everyone to the web based product ... never going to happen as no company can protect personal data such as SS numbers, etc. Every company gets hacked at some point.

According to a "real" person (Val) on support line "Windows 11 is not supported", but the System Requirements says

Operating System

• 2021: Windows 8.1 or higher (Windows 8 not supported) 

Info from link 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

So this should include support for Windows 11 since that is 8.1 or higher??

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax 2021 software does support Windows 11. For more information regarding system requirements, please see TurboTax CD/Download Minimum requirements for your computer. In that article, you will also find a link to reach out to TurboTax Technical Support for further assistance.

Additionally, please see the steps provided by user Rip in Franklin here that may help resolve the issue.

@scotthahnmn

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
marge519
Returning Member

I also had the same problem and what worked for me was disabling M.S. Windows Defender, both  antivirus and the firewall.

wfd28

changing to 1280x600 worked to get key entered.

I had the same problem with my Dell Vostro.  I ended up talking with TurboTax help.  I got an agent in about 4 minutes, but it took 2 hours to finally find a solution.

After the install from either the CD or the download from web (I did both), the activation screen was blank except for title bar. There was NO box to insert the license number or Activate Now button.

After wiggling the cursor around the blank box many times I noticed that the cursor changed from a pointer cursor to an INSERT TEXT "I" beam cursor or to a pointing finger CLICK cursor at different spots on the blank page. 

1.  After I mentioned this the TT Agent had me change the display resolution to 1024X768.

2.  Restart computer

3.  Restart Turbotax.  (It continued to hang on the blank Activation screen).

4.  The agent indicated the entry boxes and buttons are on the blank screen but I could not see them.

5.  I was instructed to move the cursor around the Activation screen until the "I" beam cursor appeared.  It needs to be about 2/3 down from to top of the  activation box  and about 1" away from left hand side because there is a different box about 1/4 the way down as well.

6.  I was able to find the box then while keeping the "I" beam visible, I moved it toward the left to be near the left hand side of the invisible entry box.  The "I" beam will change when you are out side the box.

7. At this spot I entered the license key with out any hyphens or spaces.  I did not bother with cap's.

8.  After entering the long string of characters, I next moved to the right hand corner near the bottom where the cursor changed to a Pointing Finger and Right Clicked.

9.  After about 20 seconds, the TT Registration Page appeared for my Name and Address.  When you see this page, it means the license key was accepted.

10.  I restarted TurboTax and it loaded immediately to the Start a New Return Page.

Once the agent realized the Activation Screen as actually live, just invisible, it only took about 5 minutes to be successful (and that long only because I tried entering the key in the invisible box only 1/4 of the way down on right side, not the box you should find about 2/3's the way down).

It appears this problem all has to deal with the video driver but even an update to most recent version from Nividia did not solve the problem.  Ultimately, simply working with the blank screen with the change in cursor shapes provided enough information to work around this problem.

Then I noticed

I had same issue with activation and buying the state e-file.  Sometimes it was a blank screen, sometimes there were buttons that just didn't work.  Turning off firewalls and changing resolution didn't help.  I'm running Windows 11 and apparently have the latest drivers (a suggestion I got from another thread).  What eventually worked for me was hitting Ctrl+alt+Del at each box/entry point.  That somehow forced it to refresh itself and realize it had data I guess????

Beyond ridiculous this is all necessary.  My new laptop doesn't have a disc drive so I had to download for the first time.  I'm a CPA who has been using turbo tax for my own taxes since I left public accounting 15 years ago.  I'm really questioning if I'll make the same choice next year.

After resolving the blank Activation Screen issue, I hit the same problem when trying to download the state form.  The Download State confirmation screen was blank.  However, with the previous resolution, I used the same procedure to find the "Continue" button by wiggling the cursor around to find it about half way down and on the right hand side.   I was also able to get the screen to refresh itself by changing the screen resolution.  I did not think about the control+alt+del or how that might work.  This was the first year in 30+ years of using TurboTax, but it just should not be that complicated.

Nevertheless, the work-a-round worked and I could download the state form and continue entering data without waiting for TT technical assistance.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We are happy to hear you were able to get the state downloaded after the workaround @benjaminbunny

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nortnarg

I am installing Turbo Tax 2022 in Windows 11. 

After install, the activation screen hangs with those wonderful flying blue spots.

This fix worked for me:

Open Windows Defender > Firewall and Network Protection > Private Network > Microsoft Defender Firewall > Click Slider to 'Off" 

Restarted Turbo Tax and activated with the license code on the purchased CD. 

After activation, Turbo Tax program started and you can now turn on the Windows Defender Firewall again

Generally ... you have to turn off some security features when installing programming because they are doing too good a job. 

AIA

My computer has Zscaler running, I disabled it and it fixed the issue. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies