Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rnkipper

A passive activity became worthless in 2019. The system is not deducting the prior disallowed losses. How to I get the system to deduct these losses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

A passive activity became worthless in 2019. The system is not deducting the prior disallowed losses. How to I get the system to deduct these losses?

You need to indicate that the passive activity dissolved in 2019, and this will be the last year of reporting. Did you receive Schedule K-1? Was this a passive loss from a rental property? Be certain that the carryover losses from prior years are reported. If you used TurboTax in the past, these losses should carry forward automatically from year-to-year. If not, you will need to indicate the amount of carryover losses from passive activities.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I received a letter in 2020 that my investment is now worthless.  I had previously received K-1's with tax year 2018 being the last one received.  The letter said no K-1 will be issued for the 2020 tax year.  where do I enter this loss (passive) in Turbo tax.  I originally purchased my interest in the company in 2006.  Do I enter this in the K-1 section or stock loss in 2020?  As I did not and will not receive a K-1 for 2020, the section of TurboTax for K-1's only allows entries if I received a K-1.  Any help is appreciated.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Your business interest will be treated the same as worthless stock.  When it becomes totally worthless you have a capital loss.  For the entry, see How do I deduct worthless stock?   

Treat worthless securities as though they were capital assets sold or exchanged on the last day of the tax year.

@2chem2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Excellent !

That seems logical.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies