turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should it be able to break out the IA wages and CO wages correctly on the state filings? My son moved and the CO wages he earned are being considered on the IA filing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Should it be able to break out the IA wages and CO wages correctly on the state filings? My son moved and the CO wages he earned are being considered on the IA filing.

A number of states use this method for determining part-year or nonresident tax.  They pretend that all of the income is taxable in the state, calculate hypothetical tax on that amount, and then prorate the tax to the percentage of income actually earned and taxable to the state.  Although out-of-state income is not taxed there, it can look like it is because of how it appears on the tax return.  This is what is happening here.  Iowa is not taxing your son's income, but they do factor it in to determine Iowa tax to pay on that income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You are welcome.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies