North Shore Andy

4868 payment not deducted from "taxes owed"

When I returned to turbotax months after filing the 4868 extension (but before the October deadline) Turbotax coninues to show a "taxes owed" amount that does not reflect this payment

TurboTax never receives any type of confirmation of when or if taxes owed have ever been paid.  On the TurboTax Tax Home website it will always remain showing taxes owed.

Are you talking about a return that was already filed and processed by the IRS ?

Or are you talking about a return you still need to file ?   If so then if the extension payment is not being shown on the return you will need to enter it yourself ...

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Income Taxes Paid, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment

The federal extension payment will be shown on Schedule 3 Line 10. The amount from Schedule 3 Part II Line 15 flows to Form 1040 Line 31.

North Shore Andy

Thanks, but this is getting weirder and weirder.   The amount (around $5k) was already showing up under "other taxes paid" as paid with the extension.  Just now I went to Schedule 3 line 10, and a smaller amount (around $4k) was already there, as well as on line 15.  The $5k amount is still showing up in bright red letters at the top under "Federal Taxes Due."

I note that on form 4868 (extension of time to file) the $5k figure is listed on ine 6 and 7.  

The Box "A" (freeze the amounts flowing to this form) is checked because turbotax warns me not to uncheck it.  Is that a mistake?

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number
They are available M-F  from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.