turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mrd calculation

My birthday is June 23, 1947.

I will be required to make distributions prior to April 15, 2018.

Having two 401K account do I need to withdraw from each individually or as a total?

May I withdraw today and apply this amount to my April 15, 2018 required distribution?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Mrd calculation

But the Answer to your last question is YES.  You can take the distribution TODAY for your 2017 RMD.  It is actually a 2017 RMD required by Dec 31, 2017.  They just give you extra time until April 1 to take it.  But only for the 2017 RMD.  The future years have to be taken by Dec 31 each year.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Mrd calculation

But the Answer to your last question is YES.  You can take the distribution TODAY for your 2017 RMD.  It is actually a 2017 RMD required by Dec 31, 2017.  They just give you extra time until April 1 to take it.  But only for the 2017 RMD.  The future years have to be taken by Dec 31 each year.

Mrd calculation

Yes you need to take an rmd for 2017 anytime until April 2018.  Not sure by what day.  My husband also turned 70 this year and already took his.  Only the first year do you have until April the next year.  So if you wait until 2018 then you will have to take 2 TWO rmd next year.  Both the 2017 RMD and the 2018 RMD.  So I recommend taking it by Dec 31.

Not sure how it works for 401k multiple accounts.  You do have to figure the RMD on both.  You might be able to take the total for both out of one account.  You can for IRA.

Mrd calculation

I will be required to make distributions prior to April 15, 2018.  Since you will turn 70.5 in 2017 you must take the 2017 RMD by that date.  You will also need to take a 2018 RMD in 2018 ... you cannot wait until 2019. So if you wait to take the 2017 distribution it can effect the return & the tax rate you pay since you will need to take 2 distributions in 2018. 

Having two 401K account do I need to withdraw from each individually or as a total?  Individually.

May I withdraw today and apply this amount to my April 15, 2018 required distribution?  Talk to the plan administrators for the RMD requirements and payment options.  Any distributions in 2017 will count towards the required amount needed for 2017. 

dmertz
Level 15

Mrd calculation

Your RMD deadline is April 1, 2018, not April 15.  If you wait beyond April 1, 2018, you'll have to request a penalty waiver to avoid the 50% excess accumulation penalty.

Mrd calculation

Just a side note..If you plan to make a trustee-to-charity Qualified Charitable Distribution, you cannot do so until at least the date you actually turn 70.5, in order for it not to be taxed for Federal. That will be Dec 23, 2017.
dmertz
Level 15

Mrd calculation

These are apparently 401(k) plans, not IRAs.  QCDs are not permitted from anything but IRAs.

Mrd calculation

Oh right, I missed that they were 401(k) plans.

Mrd calculation

If you rolled the 401-Ks into IRAs then the QCD would be valid.
dmertz
Level 15

Mrd calculation

401(k) RMDs for the year must be satisfied before rolling any amounts over to an IRA.  Any QCD made in that same year would be in addition to the distribution of the 401(k) RMDs to the account owner.  QCDs made after the year of the rollover could be used to satisfy the IRA RMDs.  In addition, IRA RMDs can be aggregated and the total taken from the IRAs in any combination.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies