aw0manonthemove

2021 tax questions

In August 2016, I became a State of MD retiree under disability retirement due to my psychiatric illnesses.  On May 17, 2019, I went to court  for a limited divorce hearing.  In the divorce decree, I was granted sole legal & sole physical custody of my son while his dad/my husband at the time had visitation at my discretion.  On January 29, 2021 through a telephone absolute divorce hearing, I retain both types of custody while his dad/my husband has visitation at my discretion.  Our absolute divorce became finalized on March, 4, 2021.  I have put my son on my taxes since 2018.  How does my marital status change while in MD & now in PA for 2021 tax year file in 2022? 

2021 tax questions

Your status is determined on the last day of the year.  If you are divorced by Dec 31, 2021 you file as Single or Head of Household if your son qualifies.  I can't tell when you were actually divorced.  You might have been Single (or Head of Household) for 2019 and 2020 too.  How did you file the last 2 years?

aw0manonthemove

2021 tax questions

My absolute divorce was finalized on March 4, 2021.  I believe 2020 was head of household & 2019 was single.

2021 tax questions

Then you are still the same Single or Head of Household.  There's basically only 2 filing Status, Married or Single.

Here's a FAQ for Head of Household

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/family/help/do-i-qualify-for-head-of-household/00/25539