Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TaxReturnsRDue
Returning Member

2021 Form 8995 QBI Carryover Not Prepared in Turbo Tax - Entry into 2022 Home & Business Desktop

My 2021 taxes were prepared by a CPA firm. I am preparing 2022 myself on the Home & Business version.  My Carryover report form from 2021 has a Qualified Business Income Loss figure showing available for 2022. I need to figure out how to enter into Turbo Tax without generating an error during review.

I have entered the figure in the Less Common /Special Business section as found in other TT discussion threads. @KrisD15 has images in an older reply.  I have also allocated each year's QBI carryover as required for this Schedule C. This Schedule C does have a loss for 2022 thus, additional QBI Carryforwards will accumulate to 2023.

However, error check is saying: "At Risk C/O - QBI should not have a value when no previously disallowed losses are present for regular tax purposes." The area it shows in is the Carryovers to 2022 Smart Worksheet (Enter carryovers from prior year below) form. On line B: Schedule C suspended loss's line the QBI Column figure is red with the error. Not sure what the program wants me to do to fix this issue. The figure in this erroring box is exactly what is on my 2021 Form 8995 Line 16.

If I put the same figure on the same line but in the Regular Tax column, the program recalculates and produces an extraordinary refund amount. I do not believe this would be correct. Another user did this and was able to not trigger an error flag. I don't believe this is the proper solution.

Can someone chime in on how to properly input a 2021 carryover? It is not as simple as entering the figure in the QBI Carryover Screen then allocating the figures to the respective years on the following screen. What am I missing?

Appreciate the help. Deadline is fast approaching. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

2021 Form 8995 QBI Carryover Not Prepared in Turbo Tax - Entry into 2022 Home & Business Desktop

I'll page @Mike9241

TaxReturnsRDue
Returning Member

Thank you. @AliciaP1  was helping a user with a similar issue. This was the thread where the user was able to proceed. It can be used as a reference. I don’t think the result is how I need to proceed for my situation though. 

Did you ever figure out the answer?  I have the same issue with mine this year.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Many things have been corrected in the latest updates to TurboTax. Are you still experiencing this problem?

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

Since you are posting on an old thread, we need more information. Can you please clarify your problem?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi did anyone answer the original question? I am having the same exact issue. I'm using 2022 Turbotax Premier and having the same problem with my QBI carryover from 2021 and getting the same error message.

I’m not sure you got an answer or are still working on it but honestly bug issue with TurboTax. I switched to Dave Ramseys TaxSlayer because of it. I got it to work. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies