Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

doubleyouel
Returning Member

1099-NEC - Software issue?

I'm using the web app (free version) and these instructions don't seem like they apply to the web app's interface, am I right about this? I don't seem to have any direct access to my Schedule C form...? Also, I don't know what easystep is and I don't see a "forms" button in the upper left of the screen.

doubleyouel
Returning Member

The first time I noticed a problem was when Turbo Tax asked me to go back and revisit my 1099-NEC info, and it said something about a spouse, but I'm not married and I'm filing as single. I think I ignored that error somehow, then Turbo Tax took me to a screen that said:

"Form 1099-NEC Worksheet (*Name of Business*): A link to Schedule C and a link to either Schedule F, Form 8919 (Wages) or the Other Income Statement have been selected to report nonemployee compensation. Only one can be selected. You must removed the link that is not applicable."

Then is shows me this:

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 3.00.00 PM.png

No matter what I type in that Schedule C box or leave it blank, it doesn't accept it and I cannot proceed to complete my return.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

If you are referring to Forms and Step by Step, then Yes.  Forms and Step by Step are from TurboTax Desktop.   You should see the Business Income listing in you income and expense categories.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Let's start over.  Try reviewing your forms in TurboTax and deleting the Sch C and 1099-NEC. While in your return in TurboTax:

• In the left hand column select "Tax Tools"
  • Select "Tools"
  • Select "Delete a form"
  • Review for 1099-NEC and Sch C
  • Delete selected form then "Back"

You should end up back in TurboTax after everything is deleted.  Now lets add it back:

• Go to Search at the top of the screen.
  • Then enter Schedule C in the search box. 
  • You will see a Jump To function that will take you to the Sch C input screens. 
  • There add business income and expenses.  In the Business income screens, you can add the 1099-NEC.

doubleyouel
Returning Member

Thanks, that worked! A couple things:

1. Your last reply was the first time anyone in this thread or on the linked "resolved" page directed me to the Tools menu item in order to locate the function for deleting forms.

2. I'm guessing you're on a desktop app because in the web app when you click the Search icon in the top right corner of the screen, it's a link to a page with a customer service number. I figured out that there is a Search function in Tools as well.

3. After deleting Schedule C, 1099-NEC and all other related forms, I added my 1099-NEC to my new Schedule C, but then during the Review process I had to fill in about 8 to 10 blank spaces for my address and other somewhat tricky questions about material participation and Qualified Business Income. I managed to navigate my way through all that and finally got my taxes submitted.

Hopefully Turbo Tax can figure out this bug--looks like it's causing them a lot of trouble as people have been having this issue for several weeks. (Why does that one link indicate that the issue is resolved? Also, those instructions made no sense for the web app, were they for a desktop app or something?)

Thanks again!

I cannot enter my business income to my 1099-nec form.  there is no way to edit business income.  i deleted 1099-nec and 1099-misc and added them again with no success.  i am at a standstill until this is fixed ASAP.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You will need to enter the information in both Form 1099-NEC and Schedule C sections.  You would start from the 1099-NEC section under "1099-MISC and Other Common Income".  You would then follow prompts to tell the program you are filing a Schedule C.  As it creates a Schedule C for you, you will need to go to the Schedule C portion separately to confirm your income amount, add related expenses and complete required information. 

In TurboTax online, here are the steps: 

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • From the upper right menu, select Search and type in 1099nec and Enter
  • Select the Jump to 1099nec
  • Follow prompts to complete the section

Then 

• From the upper right menu, select Search and type in schedule c and Enter
  • Select the Jump to schedule c
  • Next screen, "Your 2020 work summary" under your self employed business, select Review
  • Continue to enter related expenses and other required information

The self employed net profit will show on line 8 of your Schedule 1 and Form 1040.

@mkarav

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

stuck in 1099 NEC hell ... worksheet and software in error ... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

all this diatribe and multiple false *fixes* have been spilling out for more than 6 weeks ... when will a fix be instituted?  I want a refund for this broken software ... O*&^*^&$#&^*&%^%*&^$#% -- - - not a "back-flips through hoops of fire" approach to subduing it ... one after another ad nauseum, ad infinitum. What a CF!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking via "Forms" reveals lots of errors - address is carried into Sched C incorrectly, the name "datamgmt consulting" was parsed into 2 words and only the latter part was used.  I corrected it to a single name, datamgmt and that name was not injected into Sched C.  

FIX YOUR SOFTWARE!!! 

There is definitely a problem.  The first time I completed the 1099-NEC form the summary indicated the income was $0.  I clicked to check it and from there on the system said it doesn't know what to do with the income so will delete the form.  I have the information entered correctly, the brief questions answered, everything is standard.  They need to fix this glitch or I won't be able to file with TurboTax.  I'm using Premier.

TimPDev

So frustrating. 

sea-lion

Still not fixed on 3/19/21.  It keeps putting my NEC into the MISC line.  This is driving me crazy.  I guess I will try to adjust the specific forms, reluctantly.

This is not a proper fix and everyone saying they are entitled to a refund is correct.  The product is defective and a refund should be offered.  (I've never received a 1099-NEC before, but I have never had any problems with H&R Block's TaxCut software.  It's cheaper and it can import your previous year's TurboTax files if you have them.)  

However, if you are like me and just want to get this done so you can file an extension with an approximate (but not underpaid) estimate whilst other things get resolved, this seemed to work IF it was from a legal settlement.   Check YES to back wages ~even if it was not for back wages~ and then, if back wages weren't part of it, type $0 for the back wage amount.  The form will update with $0 for back wages and the "other income" box checked.   (If you needs a Schedule C for a business, this will not work.)  This will only work for legal settlements -- and you still need to understand the details of the settlement bc different tax rules for different reasons -- but with that knowledge, it's a work around.

And, TurboTax, this is ridiculous 

del

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies