turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

vanefuller
Returning Member

1099-NEC Box 1 Non employee Compensation Double click to link to Schedule C (*Blank*) What do I put in the blank? It will not let me file due to this.

This is the error I get. 6E97904A-DC53-4A6F-936A-392E7789A21E.jpeg

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

1099-NEC Box 1 Non employee Compensation Double click to link to Schedule C (*Blank*) What do I put in the blank? It will not let me file due to this.

The message you are seeing in TurboTax may be trying to tell you that there is not a problem with the Form 1099-NEC itself, but it needs to be tied to specific Schedule C business (or Schedule F farm).

Form 1099-NEC is used to report self-employment or independent contractor income when you are being paid by a company not treating you as their employee.  

Income from being self-employed or an independent contractor should be reported on Schedule C Business Income and Expenses. 

So, to enter a Form 1099-NEC, you first need to create a Schedule C for your business and then enter the Form 1099-NEC within that same section of your return.  

Use these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return and get started.  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c
  • Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

Once you have started the Schedule C, continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC plus any other income you received for that self-employed business.  

Don't forget you can also claim expenses related to your business.

For more details and information, take a look at the following TurboTax article:  What is Form 1099-NEC?

@vanefuller

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Wavelet42
Returning Member

I'm running into the same issue on the Desktop version of Turbo Tax.  However, I can't enter the income from the 1099-NEC onto the Schedule C line because it tells me it's a calculated field.  Any work-around for that or an expected date for a bug fix for the original issue?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Did you also enter information under Schedule C?

When you received a Form 1099-NEC on a non-employee compensation, you will need to enter the information in both Form 1099-NEC and Schedule C sections.  You would start from the 1099-NEC section under "1099-MISC and Other Common Income".  You would then follow prompts to tell the program you are filing a Schedule C.  As it creates a Schedule C for you, you will need to go to the Schedule C portion separately to confirm your income amount, add related expenses and complete required information. 

In TurboTax online, here are the steps: 

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • From the upper right menu, select Search and type in 1099nec and Enter
  • Select the Jump to 1099nec
  • Follow prompts to complete the section

Then 

• From the upper right menu, select Search and type in schedule c and Enter
  • Select the Jump to schedule c
  • Next screen, "Your 2020 work summary" under your self employed business, select Review
  • Continue to enter related expenses and other required information

You will need to file as self employed and pay self employment tax.  The net profit amount will show on line 3 of Schedule 1 and line 8 of Form 1040.  

@Wavelet42

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Wavelet42
Returning Member

I finally figured out what was going on.  When you say to fill out Schedule C and enter the 1099-NEC from there, you mean use the EasyStep to do so.  I was going directly to the Schedule C form and trying to fill in the line for the 1099-NEC there.  Going back to the EasyStep version and letting the wizard walk me through the schedule C info worked, entering the info directly in the Schedule C did not work.

@LinaJ2020 

PatCopas
Returning Member

Why is turbotax asking for business ID when i don't have a business.  I only have a 1099-NEC for nonemployee compensation.  What do I need to do?

You do have a business for it.  Most people are surprised when they get their first 1099Misc or 1099NEC.  The IRS considers it to be self employment business income.   Independent contractor is the same as self employed, sole proprietor,  freelance, etc.  You are self employed and have to fill out schedule C for business income.  You don't have to have an official business set up.  You and the business are one and the same.  YOU are the business.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies