Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Brian

1099 MISC payment to me from business

A business paid me $1000 due to a misprint in their marketing and reported it on 1099 MISC box 14. When I enter this information into TurboTax, I'm treated like an independent contractor with a business, which I'm not. How can I accurately report this income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

It's possible this is business income, if you are a lawyer.

Form 1099-MISC Box 14 reports gross payments to an attorney. If this doesn't describe you, then you should request a corrected 1099-MISC.

Most legal settlements are reported on Form 1099-MISC, but in Box 3 "Other Income." This allows you to report the income as not related to a business and avoid any self-employment taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
6-8

the 1099 miscellaneous income i reported on turbo tax is a commission from an old policy written years ago, but in turbo tax it now has me listed as a schedule C business. i don't have a business and can't erase the screen to correct it. thank you for your help!

Carl
Level 15

the 1099 miscellaneous income i reported on turbo tax is a commission from an old policy written years ago,

That alone makes it self-employment income reported on SCH C. In addition to "regular" income tax on that income, you'll also pay an additional 15.3% self-employment tax *IF* the amount of SE income received for the entire tax year is more than $400.  But regardless of the amount, it's reported on SCH C.

Assuming you were not self-employed in 2018, when working through the Business Income & Expenses section make *SURE* you specify that the business opened ***AND*** closed in the same tax year. Not doing so has the potential to create issues with the IRS in later years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies