Skip to main content
Level 2
February 27, 2026
Question

1099-INT & Form W-8BEN

  • February 27, 2026
  • 2 replies
  • 66 views

Do I need to file for 2025 based on 1099-INT, even if I am not a US citizen, live in Canada, but hold US bank accounts? I had no income in the US but earned $211.30 as interest income from one of my bank accounts. Do I need to submit Form W-8BEN for all bank accounts that I hold or just the one that yielded the income? Thank you!

    2 replies

    Alumni - Intuit
    February 28, 2026

    Yes, you must file. If you have allowable deductions then you may not owe any tax. The tax return must be filed to determine that. The treaty between the U.S. and Canada eliminates double taxation which simply put, Canada would allow a credit to eliminate that  should you actually have any US tax.

    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post. **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
    Level 2
    February 28, 2026

    Thank you so much!