1098 Check this Entry

1098 Check this Entry

When I enter my only 1098 into my 2020 tax return for the home I bought in 2020 it gives me an error that says "Check this Entry: Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet: Amount borrowed this year must be entered" and it shows a box with the form. The line F4 (Borrowed in 2020) is highlighted... but it will not let me enter any information into it. Even when I go to "forms" it is not changeable. I already tried deleting the form and reentering it. I did not enter any zeros. Only the info on the 1098. It is a Substitute 1098.

1098 Check this Entry

After looking up over 25 articles looking for an answer I finally figured out you can click the spot that it wont let you adjust and go to "Edit > Override" and it will let you type in a greyed out box!!!

1098 Check this Entry

Be careful with the overriding entries in the software.  Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't have to override anything. Returns that contain overrides cannot be e-filed and may not be covered under our 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee.   

You don't have to have a  Form 1098 in order to enter the information in TurboTax.   After you enter the lender's name, on the next screen, there is an option that says ''This is a seller-financed loan and I did not receive a 1098''.   Then it will ask you for the origination date and the debt amount.   Since mortgage interest can be limited, this is necessary information.