Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jnsassano

1098 Check this Entry

When I enter my only 1098 into my 2020 tax return for the home I bought in 2020 it gives me an error that says "Check this Entry: Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet: Amount borrowed this year must be entered" and it shows a box with the form. The line F4 (Borrowed in 2020) is highlighted... but it will not let me enter any information into it. Even when I go to "forms" it is not changeable. I already tried deleting the form and reentering it. I did not enter any zeros. Only the info on the 1098. It is a Substitute 1098.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
jnsassano

1098 Check this Entry

After looking up over 25 articles looking for an answer I finally figured out you can click the spot that it wont let you adjust and go to "Edit > Override" and it will let you type in a greyed out box!!!

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

1098 Check this Entry

Be careful with the overriding entries in the software.  Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't have to override anything. Returns that contain overrides cannot be e-filed and may not be covered under our 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee.   

You don't have to have a  Form 1098 in order to enter the information in TurboTax.   After you enter the lender's name, on the next screen, there is an option that says ''This is a seller-financed loan and I did not receive a 1098''.   Then it will ask you for the origination date and the debt amount.   Since mortgage interest can be limited, this is necessary information.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lshdlr

1098 Check this Entry

Yay!  That worked and I finally had zero errors and could move on.  Thank you!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies