Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1095-A and 1095-C overlapping for 3 months in 2023

My husband and I had a marketplace insurance plan for all of 2023.  In October of 2023 my employer offered me single health insurance coverage which I declined.  The  20231095-C I received from my employer shows the following:  Line 14 code 1E, Line 15 $96.07 and Line 16 code 2G for October, November & December.  January - September are blank.)   I'm assuming that this will affect my Marketplace premium tax credit for those months, but I don't know where or how to report it in TurboTax.   How do I handle this?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

A form 1095-C is not reported on the tax return.  You will enter your 1095 form and then answer the questions about the months your employer provided insurance you could have had. You may have to repay any advance premium tax credit you received for the disqualifying months, which will be reconciled on your tax return.

A standard of minimum coverage that applies to job-based health plans. 

If your employer's plan meets this standard and is considered “affordable,” you won't qualify for a premium tax credit if you buy a Marketplace insurance plan instead.

Use the criteria below to enter only the months you did qualify for the market place insurance and the premium tax credit. Enter the advance premium tax credit for each month you show on your 1095-A (each month of the year likely). Do not enter months of insurance where you were allowed to use employer insurance (column A and B) even if you chose not use it.

Eligibility requirements for the premium tax credit

You must meet all of the following criteria to qualify for the premium tax credit:

• You must get your health care coverage through the Marketplace
  • You can't be eligible for health care coverage through alternative options such as your employer or the government
  • Your income needs to fall within a certain range
  • Another person can't claim you as a dependent on their return
  • You must file a joint return if you're married

Where do I enter Form 1095-A?

For future use this link will help you decide whether to accept or deny employer provided health insurance before you made that decision: If your employer offers coverage through a job

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the response.  Where in the TurboTax program will it ask the questions about the employer provided insurance I could have had?  I've entered my 1095-A information but when I continue I'm not being ask any questions about employer provided insurance.

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

You don't need to enter Forms 1095-B and 1095-C in TurboTax (the IRS does not need any details from them), but it's a good idea to keep them for your records.

@downed18 

I'm still confused.  How do I know if the health coverage offered to me by my employer for the months of Oct - Dec 2023, and reported on the 1095-C I received, made me ineligible for the marketplace coverage I had during those same three months of 2023?   I would like to "repay" any premium credits I received if I was ineligible when I file our taxes instead of getting a payment due notice from the IRS with interest and penalties.  Thank You.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You wouldn't know that, and TurboTax doesn't ask.   All you have to do is enter the 1095-A.   You already had the insurance, so it doesn't matter; you would not have qualified for a subsidy when you enrolled if you had job coverage, but you didn't so, you don't have to worry about that.  Did you get the premium tax credit on your tax return?  (Line 31 of Form 1040)

Or did you have to pay any of it back? (Line 17 of your Form 1040).   TurboTax would ask if your refund or tax due amount was impacted.  

Preview Form 1040

Thank you for the reply.   After entering the information on our 1095-A  into TurboTax the amount on Form 8962, line 26 Net premium tax credit was -0-.    

Do I need to worry about the employer coverage meeting all the requirements that would make me ineligible for the premium credit we received with the Marketplace insurance for Oct - Dec 2023 even if I didn't take it?

I appreciate the help and clarifications.  

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

According to the information that you've entered into the system and that you file with your tax return you are all good.

If the IRS reviews your 1095-C and decides that you need to repay any of the credit that you received they will send you a notice.  If not then you're all good.

@downed18 

Thanks much for all the help.  It's much appreciated.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies