Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was penalized for having healthcare through the ACA which overlapped with employer coverage for 8 months in 2022. Do I have any recourse if I did not use the ACA plan?

ACA premiums were negligible since I had been unemployed in 2021, so the tax penalty is over $5K.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I was penalized for having healthcare through the ACA which overlapped with employer coverage for 8 months in 2022. Do I have any recourse if I did not use the ACA plan?

If you received ACA premium advances in 2022 while you were covered by employer provided credible health care coverage, then you have to pay back the premium advances you received.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Did you post about this yesterday with username cleatus232? The situation seems very similar.

Here you didn't say how it came about that you had duplicate coverage. If it was because you didn't cancel the ACA coverage when you got the employer coverage, or if you are cleatus232, that was your error. I don't think you have any "recourse."

It doesn't matter that you didn't use the ACA plan. You had the coverage.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies