Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

elmo1943

1040 SR

Turbotax 2022 would not import into 2023. All entries need hand entry, import is major reason of using Turbotax. Now trying to save 2023 I find saving is 1040 SR and I will have same problem trying to import 2023 into 2024. I download Turbotax every year from Costco and I am over 80 years old, even old people want to have data imported from prior years. Congress may have required this but Turbotax should allow 1040 SR to import pdf files from prior years. Not a happy camper.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

1040 SR

Hello,  I'm a senior too and buy from Costco each year.  You should not be transferring from the pdf.  If you have been using the Desktop program you should have the data file ending in .tax2022 to transfer.  You are picking the wrong file.  The pdf only transfers your name, address, ssn and AGI.  The pdf and .tax files should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  

And you can turn off the 1040 SR and save  it as the regular 1040 form.  Switch to Forms Mode and open the Info Wks.  Scroll down to Part II Address and Federal Filing Status.  There is Print Form 1040-SR instead of Form 1040    ....Yes  or No.

1040SR no.jpg

1040 SR

Here's an idea. Do you still have 2022 installed? Try opening 2022 program and see if you can get your 2022 return to show up in it. Go to FILE - OPEN.

Then in the 2022 program do a File-Save AS and give it a easy name you can find or search for. And note where it saves it or select where to save it so you can find it again. The file will end in .tax2022. Then close the 2022 program. Then start a new 2023 return and transfer from the .tax2022 file.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

1040 SR

Make sure you're signing in with the same user ID that you used last year. 

If you do not have this information Use our account recovery tool to see if you have other user IDs tied to your email address.

See these tips for transferring your prior year's data:

See this is if  you used the TurboTax Desktop software last year

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or open or continue a return you already started.
  2. Select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. Select Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.
  4. Follow the instructions to finish transferring your file.
  • You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2022.
  • Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring.
  • If you already started your 2023 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered.

Click here If you used other tax software last year

If you see error messages like Transfer Was Unsuccessful, Internal Error, or Unable to Read Data, try these fixes:

1. Close and restart TurboTax.
  2. Save a new copy of last year's return and transfer from the new copy.
  3. Reinstall your prior-year TurboTax software.
  4. Reinstall your current year TurboTax software.

You can also see our instructions on transferring a PDF or .tax file.

Click here for a video on how to transfer last year's tax data into TurboTax.

Click here for How to Import Last Year's Taxes into TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies