Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

avneige
Returning Member

I live MA but took a consulting project for a company in NY. Do I file state taxes in NY? The project was 2 months. Do I pay estimated quarterly taxes in both states?

I also will have paid a resource more than $600 and need to send her a 1099. Are there advantages to hiring someone within the state I live (MA)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live MA but took a consulting project for a company in NY. Do I file state taxes in NY? The project was 2 months. Do I pay estimated quarterly taxes in both states?

You owe NY state a non-resident tax return that reports and pays tax on your NY-source income only.  Then on your MA return, you get a credit for out of state taxes that you pay which reduces (mostly) the impact of double taxation.  In Turbotax, prepare the NY return first, then the MA, so the credit flows in the correct direction.  You would need to make NY estimated payments for the NY taxable income.  6% is fairly typical, it could be less for small jobs.  Here is a link.  You can make the payment by check or online. https://tax.ny.gov/pit/estimated_tax/default.htm

If you are hiring a subcontractor, it doesn't really matter tax-wise where they are located.  If you hired the subcontractor to work on your NY-source job, it's an expense on your NY return even if they are located elsewhere.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

1) To what extent were you physically present in NY?
2) Does/did your 'resource' do similar work for other people? Was this a person, or corporation you used?
avneige
Returning Member

1) I was never present in NY. I work from home in MA.
2) The person I used is a freelance graphic designer who does do this work for others as well.

You owe NY state a non-resident tax return that reports and pays tax on your NY-source income only.  Then on your MA return, you get a credit for out of state taxes that you pay which reduces (mostly) the impact of double taxation.  In Turbotax, prepare the NY return first, then the MA, so the credit flows in the correct direction.  You would need to make NY estimated payments for the NY taxable income.  6% is fairly typical, it could be less for small jobs.  Here is a link.  You can make the payment by check or online. https://tax.ny.gov/pit/estimated_tax/default.htm

If you are hiring a subcontractor, it doesn't really matter tax-wise where they are located.  If you hired the subcontractor to work on your NY-source job, it's an expense on your NY return even if they are located elsewhere.

avneige
Returning Member

Thanks for the advice. Are there any impacts to hiring someone on a project basis from the state I live in versus out of state?

Not that I know of, assuming the person is an independent contractor.  If you are hiring a regular employee, it makes a great deal of difference (wage and hour laws, proper withholding, workers comp, etc.)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies