turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kunmi011

1.Does the glacier tax prep help me calculate how much I am getting from the IRS OR how much I am paying in Tax?

I’m an F-1 student and I used glacier tax prep to file my return(as provided by the sch) and sent the paper copy by mail to AUSTIN, TX already. But here is the thing, I just found out I am to get more as refund. Which brings me to this questions;

1.       Does the glacier tax prep help me calculate how much I am getting from the IRS OR how much I am paying in Tax?
2.       If it’s the former, since I am supposed to get more as payment, what do I do next to rectify the error please?
3. Can Turbotax help me fix this?

Thanks in anticipation of a quick response.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1.Does the glacier tax prep help me calculate how much I am getting from the IRS OR how much I am paying in Tax?

As a student on an F-1 Visa you are required to file form 1040-NR (non-resident).  Turbotax does not support this form.

Looking at the form on the IRS web site, your income is calculated on page 1, and your taxes and payments are calculated on page 2. Any refund or amount owed is shown on line 72-75.  If you print a copy of your return you should be able to read it and follow the math. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040nr.pdf

View solution in original post

2 Replies

As a student on an F-1 Visa you are required to file form 1040-NR (non-resident).  Turbotax does not support this form.

Looking at the form on the IRS web site, your income is calculated on page 1, and your taxes and payments are calculated on page 2. Any refund or amount owed is shown on line 72-75.  If you print a copy of your return you should be able to read it and follow the math. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040nr.pdf

ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Glacier Tax prep is not affiliated with Turbo Tax, so we cannot speak for another company. Did you ask them for guidance or input on this matter?

Who says you are supposed to get more money? Did you discover that via using Turbo Tax?

Please keep in mind that Turbo Tax is not for Nonresident Alien 1040(NR) tax returns. So, you can ask questions in this forum, but our customer service agents cannot assist with forms that our software does not provide.

If you did use Turbo Tax and saw a bigger refund, I would have to caution you that such refund is based on resident tax rules, which likely do not apply to your situation. How long have you been in the US?

We do have a partner for international student returns- Sprintax- so I would recommend that you try preparing your return there (and compare with what was filed through Glacier)

https://www.sprintax.com/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies