turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Heat pump: Inflation reduction act

When Inflation reduction act goes effective, there is a $2,000 tax credit for installing heat pumps. ‘‘Sec. 25C. Energy efficient home improvement credit.’’.

Is it applicable to heat pumps installed in between Jan 1, 2022 and Dec 31, 2022?  Or, what's the meaning of below line.

https://www.democrats.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/inflation_reduction_act_of_2022.pdf

- Page 351 says "(2) EXTENSION OF CREDIT.—The amendments 2 made by subsection (a) shall apply to property placed 3 in service after December 31, 2021. "

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Yoyoguy 

It’s very difficult because you have to read the entire section of the act from page 338 through 351 and you have to cross reference back to the current law section 25C.

After the sentence you quoted, it also says this:

EXTENSION OF CREDIT.—The amendments made by subsection (a) shall apply to property placed in service after December 31, 2021.

Section a is the extension of the expiration date only.  So the combination of the two statements seems to indicate to me, that the credit is extended as is (10% and $500 lifetime maximum)  retroactive to January 1, 2022. However, the enhanced credit of 30% with a $1200 (or $2000) annual limit is effective on January 1, 2023.

This is actually pretty sensible, because it gives people and the IRS time to plan, and reverse is a trend of Congress making huge changes to the tax laws retroactively. However, if I read it correctly, you will want to hold off installing a new heat pump until next year, if you can.

I am not a tax attorney, and you should wait for more authoritative explanations.

View solution in original post

@Yoyoguy 

Right now, the heat pump specifications were last updated in 2018. Some types of heat pumps have a tier 1 and tier 2, and some types of heat pump have a tier 1, tier 2, and an Advanced Tier.

https://cee1.force.com/sfc/servlet.shepherd/document/download/0692R00000C1mY5QAJ

For example, tier 2 on a heat pump water heater is an efficiency greater than 3.10, and the advanced tier is an efficiency greater than 3.75.  Any heat pump that meets or exceeds the advanced tier automatically exceeds tier 1 and tier 2.

I think the statute means the unit must meet or exceed the highest regularly numbered tier, and that if there is an advanced tier, it is not considered to be the highest tier.  Reading the statute in that way means that under the current efficiency standard, a heat pump water heater must have an efficiency of greater than 3.10 to qualify.  If the statute were read to mean that advanced tier products did not qualify, then that would mean that a heat pump water heater with an efficiency greater than 3.75 would be ineligible (even though it exceeds the tier 2 standard), and that doesn’t make sense.

however, I am not an attorney. The requirement that an energy efficient appliance must meet or exceed CEE requirements was added to the law and takes affect January 1, 2023, so you won’t see it in the IRS instructions for form 5695 until December 2023.  Appliances installed in 2022 would use the old qualifying rules, which I do not have at my fingertips.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

The post does not answer my question though.

I refuse to read such a hard to read article ...  so just  wait a couple of weeks until the ink dries on the bill  and plain english explanations are posted instead of confusing technical language. 

Section 25C, before the act, provided a 10% credit for installation of efficient doors, windows, insulation, heat pump, air conditioner or furnace, with an annual and lifetime cap of $500.  The credit expired at the end of 2021.

The act modifies section 25C as follows:

1. the credit percentage is increased to 30%

2. the credit is extended to 2032.

3. The lifetime cap is removed.

4. There is an annual cap of $1200, with individual caps of $600 for windows, $500 for doors, and $600 for energy efficient "property" (which generally includes furnaces, hot water heaters and air conditioners.

5. Regardless of the $1200 annual cap and $600 cap for "property", there is a separate $2000 cap for a heat pump, heat pump hot water heater, or biomass stoves and boilers.

6. The definition for efficiency for a heat pump to qualify has been changed to 

"which meet or exceed the highest efficiency tier (not including any advanced tier) established by the Consortium for Energy Efficiency which is in effect as of the beginning of the calendar year in which the property is placed in service."

There are a number of other changes that are not relavant to your question. 

[Edited to correct]

So to your question, installation of a qualified heat pump in 2022 is eligible for a credit of 30% of the cost (including installation), up to a maximum of $2000, assuming it meets the required efficiency standard. 

The law specifies that the changes take effect in 2023.  Property placed in service in 2022 only receives a 10% credit with a lifetime cap of $500.  The enhanced 30% credit and higher caps take effect for property placed in service after December 31, 2022. 

Thanks @Opus 17 Can you help me understand what this "December 31, 2022" about though?

Page 350 says, 
(1) IN GENERAL.—Except as otherwise provided by this subsection, the amendments made by this section shall apply to property placed in service after December 31, 2022. 

@Yoyoguy 

It’s very difficult because you have to read the entire section of the act from page 338 through 351 and you have to cross reference back to the current law section 25C.

After the sentence you quoted, it also says this:

EXTENSION OF CREDIT.—The amendments made by subsection (a) shall apply to property placed in service after December 31, 2021.

Section a is the extension of the expiration date only.  So the combination of the two statements seems to indicate to me, that the credit is extended as is (10% and $500 lifetime maximum)  retroactive to January 1, 2022. However, the enhanced credit of 30% with a $1200 (or $2000) annual limit is effective on January 1, 2023.

This is actually pretty sensible, because it gives people and the IRS time to plan, and reverse is a trend of Congress making huge changes to the tax laws retroactively. However, if I read it correctly, you will want to hold off installing a new heat pump until next year, if you can.

I am not a tax attorney, and you should wait for more authoritative explanations.

Ok.. Can you clarify whether solar installation is 30% or 26% for Jan 1, 2022 to Dec 31, 2022?

@Yoyoguy 

That would be in section 25D. I’m not at my computer, so I can’t at the moment research whether the “inflation reduction act“ also changed section 25D.  Maybe later tonight.

@Yoyoguy wrote:

Ok.. Can you clarify whether solar installation is 30% or 26% for Jan 1, 2022 to Dec 31, 2022?

30%. See here,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-law-changes/discussion/revisions-to-section-25d-residential-cl...

Ben202
Returning Member

Thank you @Opus 17 !
I have a followup question -

If the installation of a heat pump cost me $10,000 this year (2022), could I claim $2000 in credits this year (2022's returns) and an additional $1000 next year (2023's returns)? 

@Ben202 

The new credit limits take effect in 2023.  For property placed in service in 2022, the credit for a heat pump is 10% with a cap of $300 and a lifetime cap on all credits under that section of $500.  

Also, the credit can only be claimed in the year the property is placed in service.  If the property is placed in service in 2022, you can only claim the 2022 credit.  You can’t also claim a share of the larger credit in 2023.   

MaxGhenis
Returning Member

Yep, specifically page 350 of the IRA says:

(1) IN GENERAL.—Except as otherwise provided by this subsection, the amendments made by this section shall apply to property placed in service after December 31, 2022.

"which meet or exceed the highest efficiency tier (not including any advanced tier) established by the Consortium for Energy Efficiency which is in effect as of the beginning of the calendar year in which the property is placed in service."

I am reading the specifications here: https://cee1.org/node/729

Question: Does it mean, advanced tier equipments are ineligible?  @Opus 17 

@Yoyoguy 

Right now, the heat pump specifications were last updated in 2018. Some types of heat pumps have a tier 1 and tier 2, and some types of heat pump have a tier 1, tier 2, and an Advanced Tier.

https://cee1.force.com/sfc/servlet.shepherd/document/download/0692R00000C1mY5QAJ

For example, tier 2 on a heat pump water heater is an efficiency greater than 3.10, and the advanced tier is an efficiency greater than 3.75.  Any heat pump that meets or exceeds the advanced tier automatically exceeds tier 1 and tier 2.

I think the statute means the unit must meet or exceed the highest regularly numbered tier, and that if there is an advanced tier, it is not considered to be the highest tier.  Reading the statute in that way means that under the current efficiency standard, a heat pump water heater must have an efficiency of greater than 3.10 to qualify.  If the statute were read to mean that advanced tier products did not qualify, then that would mean that a heat pump water heater with an efficiency greater than 3.75 would be ineligible (even though it exceeds the tier 2 standard), and that doesn’t make sense.

however, I am not an attorney. The requirement that an energy efficient appliance must meet or exceed CEE requirements was added to the law and takes affect January 1, 2023, so you won’t see it in the IRS instructions for form 5695 until December 2023.  Appliances installed in 2022 would use the old qualifying rules, which I do not have at my fingertips.

Manage cookies