Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I didn't claim the child tax credit in 2014 can I for 2015?

In 2014 I forgot about the child tax credit for my daughter when. I filed with Jackson Hewitt. Can I claim the credit for this year?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I entered my son's information but I noticed after over looking that I actually did get him as my dependant (he is my son and still reside s with me. Also per divorce ppw. Also have been taking care of I guess we will say my be. Can I claim.?. He lives and pays rent all yr. I pay for electric, water an cook as well as work.

Yes if she is Under 17.  Turbo Tax will automatically include it as soon as you enter her under dependents.  You can amend your 2014 return if it wasn't included.   But you should double check 2014.  Seems like that would be automatically given to you if you qualify.

The Child Tax Credit is not a "refundable credit". This means that it cannot be used to reduce your tax liability below zero. Your Federal income tax withheld is not included in the calculation of your tax liability.

In other words you have to have a tax to reduce.  If your income is low and you don't owe any tax you won't get any credit back.  Or if you only owe a small tax then that's all you can get back.

Go to Federal
Deductions & Credits
Select I'll choose what I work on
Then second section You and Your Family - last item
Child Tax Credit - Click the Start or Update button

Additional Child Tax Credit:
You qualify for a certain amount based on your income and the tax calculated on your return. But you can't get back more than the tax. So for people who have a low tax they are giving you an extra amount in addition.

For the Child Tax Credit your Modified AGI has to be under
Joint = $110,000
Single or HOH  = 75,000
Filing Separate = 55,000
SherekaB

You will need to Amend your 2014 return and claim the credit if your child was not on your taxes last year. 

Here is how to Amend:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2589210-how-do-i-amend-change-or-correct-a-2014-return-in-turbotax

If it was missed on your 2014 return I would go back to Jackson Hewitt. They should have caught that.  If it's not there they should amend it for you for free.  Did you not even claim your daughter as a dependent on your return?

To use Turbo Tax, See this FAQ on how to amend a return done by hand or by another company
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2939017-can-i-use-turbotax-to-amend-my-return-if-i-prepared-my-tax...>

If you want to amend a prior year return you would have to buy the desktop version of Turbo Tax.
 You can buy  prior year desktop versions here....
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products.jsp">http://turbotax.intuit.com/person...>

Totally agree. Go back to JH and insist they make it right.

No. I didn't claim her at all
SherekaB

You will need to Amend last year's taxes. You can not claim double credits on this year's if you miss a year.

Why didn't you claim her?

Thank u
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies