turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Can a dependent who is a qualifying relative because of age qualify for Earned Income Credit if they have qualifying child?

BTW, the EIC for someone with $3000 of income and 3 kids is $1361.
For a grandfather who makes too much to claim EIC, the tax savings from  claiming 3 more kids just as dependents is a least $3000 and could be more, much more

Can a dependent who is a qualifying relative because of age qualify for Earned Income Credit if they have qualifying child?

That's the point.  Grandfather can claim myself and all the children for dependents, and I can claim EIC because there is no support requirement and the qualifying children for EIC don't have to be dependents, just meet relationship, age, residency, and joint return tests.  Grandfather gets dependents, mother gets EIC.

What boxes do I check to take the earned income credit?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Publication 596, Page 11, Rule 9:

Sometimes a child meets the tests to be a qualifying child of more than one person. However, only one of these persons can actually treat the child as a qualifying child. Only that person can use the child as a qualifying child to take all of the following tax benefits (provided the person is eligible for each benefit).

The exemption for the child.
The child tax credit.
Head of household filing status.
The credit for child and dependent care expenses.
The exclusion for dependent care benefits.
The EIC.

The other person cannot take any of these benefits based on this qualifying child. In other words, you and the other person cannot agree to divide these tax benefits between you. The other person cannot take any of these tax benefits unless he or she has a different qualifying child.

You cannot be your father's dependent since (1) you are 24 or over and (2) you had income in excess of $4,000.

I was mistaken, I only made $3,000.  What boxes do I check to claim the earned income credit?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies