turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sddoten

Why is the turbo tax for 2018 asking for charitable deductions in 2017. It should be asking for 2018 deduction not 2017. I believe this is a mistake and needs fixing.

This is a filing for 2018 deductions like charity, etc and should not be asking for my 2017 charitable deductions. I am a retired CPA, BSA, programmer. This is a section of updating you missed. Let me know when it is fixed via your updates so I can continue my program. Right now it will not accept 2018 dates for charitable deductions in this part of the system and is saying everything I enter is for 2017 at the header and only that year on the program in general including my 2018 mortgage deduction although it accepted it because I did not add it with 12-31-18 date or even 1-1-19 but it is showing it as 2017 info for the deductions that should appear for 2018 schedule A stuff. The charitable deductions is where it is absolutely not accepting a date for 2018 which is necessary and this is apparently 2017 general deductions from last year's programming not updated to accomodate 2018. That tells me the programming is locked by date and this whole piece of programming is likely all tying to 2017 still. A GLITCH! And it needs fixing before I can continue. Make sure you check all the dated stuff in this whole piece. I am betting loads of it is tied to 2017, last year's product still. Kind of disappointed in this year's program. Been using it for many, many years. I feel like a beta tester again. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why is the turbo tax for 2018 asking for charitable deductions in 2017. It should be asking for 2018 deduction not 2017. I believe this is a mistake and needs fixing.

I have Windows and don't know Mac but in my Windows "send the file to agent" is under ONLINE.  See my screen shot.  So look though all your menu items at the top for it.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

You are using the 2018 program?  I know there are several places in the Mac Desktop program where the column header year descriptions are wrong but don’t affect the amounts or calculations.  Like in Rentals, Farms and maybe schedule C.  They know about those and are working to fix it.

Like this one, <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4525016-turbotax-mac-2018-is-showing-the-wrong-years">https://ttlc...>
sddoten

I am having problems with dates. And as a retired CPA, BSA, programmer I expect things like this to be right. I do not want to post charitable deductions for 2018 with 2017 dates because a programmer has neglected this part of the program update. Some things they must fix. The header I can ignore if I have to but not the date. It is propably a little box for the year's date that should be updated. And if I had designed it, that is what it would entail. If this is hard programming then shame on them but it still needs to be fixed.

Oh it might help if you could post a screen shot.  You can add it to your top question or use an answer box.  I posted where the moderator will see it.

N.B.: MAC product
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
GabiU
Level 15

@sddoten Thank you for being transparent with us. I would love to find out more about what you're experiencing. I'm going to need your help to get more information. Please send me a diagnostic file which is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed. You can send one to us by following the directions below:

1. Click into your return.
2. Click Help and select "Send Tax File to Agent".
3. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created. Click on OK, the tax file gets sanitized and transmitted to us.
4. Please provide the Token Number that was generated onto a response to this thread.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sddoten

I just sent it and have received no confirmation. This is a disappointment and that machine is a nightmare. Now I need a number from intuit for this problem. Even the update is confused and thinks I need to update to the 2018 version but this is the 2018 version. I want to get an update via my email on when this will be fixed. And I thoughs I was to receive a token number. How do I get that. Been a customer for years with Turbo and this is not me, it is a glitch. The package was not prepared correctly. A whole swath of programs are just 2017 stuff. Time and date when I can continue my taxes please!

If you do the steps she posted it will give you a token number (I think it's 5 or 6 digits)  that you post here in this thread as a comment.  But it does sounds like you are  in the 2017 program.  Did you download the program?  You have may have downloaded the wrong year or they put the wrong year in your account.

Go look and see in your online account if  you have a 2018 download.  And inside the file name it should say the year.  Access your downloads here
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/commerce/account/secure/login.jsp?pagecontext=download">https://sho...>

sddoten

It is a 2018 program with 2017 pieces still in it. Even the program they use to install has failed here and thought what you suggested then that suggestion suddenly disappeared. And it is NOT the 2017 package, it is the new one I received for 2018 from Intuit a few days ago. And it is messed up.
sddoten

But thank you VolvoGirl. I am waiting for that token now.

I have Windows and don't know Mac but in my Windows "send the file to agent" is under ONLINE.  See my screen shot.  So look though all your menu items at the top for it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies