turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

radavis15

What mortgage balance should be entered on a co-owned home as of 12/31/18? 50% to each oner?

Mortgage balance as of 12/31/18 is $239,835.24.  We co-own the property with our son and wife.  They received the 1098 and we split property tax and interest.  Do we each enter $119,917 as the mortgage balance on 12/31/18?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

What mortgage balance should be entered on a co-owned home as of 12/31/18? 50% to each oner?

Yes, for the situation you are describing, and because you are only reporting the amount of mortgage debt that you acquired which is under the IRS limit for the mortgage interest deduction, report the beginning and ending balance of your share only. 

[edited 02/11/2019 I 7:05pm]

View solution in original post

7 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Yes, for the situation you are describing, and because you are only reporting the amount of mortgage debt that you acquired which is under the IRS limit for the mortgage interest deduction, report the beginning and ending balance of your share only. 

[edited 02/11/2019 I 7:05pm]

radavis15

Wouldn't that double the amount of the reported mortgage?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

You may need to adjust the beginning and ending balances on the 1098 screen in turbotax to reflex "your share" and the amount of interest you paid.
radavis15

While it doesn't affect the taxes or interest directly, there are limits on the mortgage totals allowed.  Reporting the total to both filing could cause one of the owners to exceed the limit.  Therefore, reporting half avoids that.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Are all four of you on the deed and the mortgage loan?
radavis15

yes
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I understand your concern and feel I may need to be corrected. Pub 936 says nothing against co-owning a second home and only that you may only report the interest you pay up to the allowed limit. In your situation, I agree that you only report half the amounts since you are only deducting the interest for that amount of mortgage. I will edit the original answer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies