turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

met1126

Help!!! can I file my medicare cost that I pay each month? and travel to and from the doctors office?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Help!!! can I file my medicare cost that I pay each month? and travel to and from the doctors office?

If you are receiving Social Security, then the Medicare premiums paid monthly from your SS already flowed to the Medical Expenses on your return.  Do not "double enter" them.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you are receiving Social Security, then the Medicare premiums paid monthly from your SS already flowed to the Medical Expenses on your return.  Do not "double enter" them.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Yes. You must itemize in order to deduct them and certain rules and limits apply. The software program will automatically carry over the medicare premium amounts that were reported on your Social Security Statement. Be sure not to enter those yourself. Please see the following Turbo Tax link for more information on the Adjusted Gross Income limit

Medicare Premiums

1. The premiums must have been paid from your own funds, such as your social security check and you must not have received any extra help in paying the premiums.

2. Only certain types of Medicare premiums apply. Medicare B and Medicare D premiums are both usually deductible. Please see IRS Publication 502 for more information. https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/

Transportation Expenses

1.Transportation expense must be used primarily for, and essential to, medical care.

2. If you drive: You can include your out-of-pocket expenses for gas and oil. Or, you can claim  the  standard deduction (19 cents per mile) driven for medical purposes  You can't include depreciation, insurance, general repair, or maintenance expenses. You can add parking fees and tolls to your medical expenses whether you use out-of-pocket costs or the standard mileage rate.

3.If you don't drive: You can include bus, taxi, train, or plane fares or ambulance service, and transportation expenses of a nurse or other person who can give injections, medications, or other treatment required by a patient who is traveling to get medical care and is unable to travel alone.

Here is a Turbo Tax link that explains where to enter the medical deductions. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4774888

Please view my screenshot as well.

[edited, 01/20/17]

KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I have updated my answer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies