Solved: Yes, you can, provided you completed your move wit...

I bought a trailer to move and store items in advance of a PCS military move overseas. Is it possible to write off the cost of this trailer?

Yes, you can, provided you completed your move within 30 days.

This, from IRS' Instructions for Form 3903:

Storing and insuring household goods and personal effects.

You can include only the cost of storing and insuring your household goods and personal effects within any period of 30 consecutive days after the day these goods and effects are moved from your former home and before they are delivered to your new home.

To clarify, I purchased the trailer within 30 days of my move - does this mean I can deduct the total cost of this trailer? The trailer was something like $8000. "Within any period of 30 consecutive days after these goods and effects are moved from your former home and before they are delivered to your new home" applies to the move from my former home to the storage location. It's rather confusing in my case because I used the trailer to move items from Norfolk, VA to Northern, VA where my parents own property. I did buy and use the trailer in support of my overseas move - this trailer is still being used to store things I could not bring to Germany.

I think in your case you're only going to be able to deduct the cost of storage.  Because you can technically use the trailer again (in the future), I wouldn't deduct the $8k cost.