turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

numlockon

Does turbotax support a non resident US citizen (my wife, living in Canada) and does it allow a foreign address and support form 8938 (foreign assets)? Thank you!

My wife is an international tax payer (US citizen) living in Canada and we're looking for an IRS acceptable tax program which will assist us to file her taxes. She has interest, dividends and stock transactions to report but no employment income. Most importantly, she has to report her foreign bank accounts on form 8938. Could anyone tell me if Turbotax supports what we need and if so what base product would do the job? Thank you so much!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Does turbotax support a non resident US citizen (my wife, living in Canada) and does it allow a foreign address and support form 8938 (foreign assets)? Thank you!

Yes, TurboTax supports.  Since your wife is a US citizen, she is required to report worldwide income on your Form 1040 return if you file jointly. Although she does not live in the US, she would still file a US return just like other US citizens who reside in the US.  You would include her income on your Form 1040.   As far as the Form 8938, TurboTax supports this form as well.  In addition, based on the information being provided, you would need TurboTax Premier edition as your product. 

To enter foreign asset and create a Form 8938, go to:

• At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in 8938 and Enter
  • Select Jump to 8938
  • Follow prompts to enter information

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Yes, TurboTax supports.  Since your wife is a US citizen, she is required to report worldwide income on your Form 1040 return if you file jointly. Although she does not live in the US, she would still file a US return just like other US citizens who reside in the US.  You would include her income on your Form 1040.   As far as the Form 8938, TurboTax supports this form as well.  In addition, based on the information being provided, you would need TurboTax Premier edition as your product. 

To enter foreign asset and create a Form 8938, go to:

• At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in 8938 and Enter
  • Select Jump to 8938
  • Follow prompts to enter information

numlockon

Thank you! I'm Canadian and do not file but we are searching for a suitable e-file solution for her. Would the basic Turbotax package work OK as well for us? Thanks again!!
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

No, you would need the Premier edition which supports her stock transactions. Since she is a US citizen, she can treat you as a resident and file jointly. See <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse">https://www.irs.go... she can file married filing separately.  Between the joint and separate, the joint usually allows you most of the credits and deductions hence biggest refund.
numlockon

Terrific! Thank you very much for your help!
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You are very welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies